5: Child of the Wind 05

There was silence in the helicopter.

That was a hell of a thing to see.

The hierarchy of Awakened people was clear-cut. From Level 1 to Level 6, then Auxiliary phase, followed by the capstone Monarch level.

The criterion for determining an Awakened person's level was how many elements they could control.

Being able to master seven elements was Auxiliary level, while Monarchs needed to master nine or more.

In general an Awakened person could only control one or two elements when they first awakened. If they had the ability to handle three or four, it was enough to be called gifted. Awakened people as a whole were already scarce, and even among them, at most one in a hundred had that kind of talent.

The record for a new Awakened came from Britain in the twentieth century. Just after awakening, he controlled seven different elements and immediately entered Auxiliary level. At the time it set off an uproar within the occult community. There wasn't a single person who wasn't left in awe.

But this boy wearing a school uniform had just spread his slender fingers, and at the tip of each finger there was a different element.

A flame flickered, a puff of wind drifted, a curl of water rippled, an ice prism glittered, a point of light gleamed, a dot of darkness seethed, an electric spark pulsed, a branch of wood sprouted, a metal shaving glinted, and a black clump of soil rustled.

Radiant light converged into multi-colored lines in the narrow cabin until it finally disappeared into nothingness.

That was ten elements!!! Ten!!!

He Yuan immediately jumped up from his seat and slammed his head into the ceiling. It wasn't possible to restrain his excitement.

A seventeen-year-old at Monarch level???

Not just him, but also the sunglasses-wearing Si Yan swore out loud and almost made the helicopter swerve back and forth.

Even Si Yan, who'd just broken through Monarch level himself, had only mastered nine elements. You could imagine his shock.

"I can do it too."

Zong Yan seemed completely unaffected by the other people's mood. He even wondered to himself why they were so surprised. For him the scene just now was like a child taking out his toys and saying "do you have one of these", "I have one too", like a kid's display of one-upmanship.

Anyway it wasn't an astonishing thing for him. After all, that was the most Zong Yan could do.

They were all E-rank abilities, which he summoned at random times to the tip of his fingers just to amuse himself. Take fire, for example. If Zong Yan wanted to go any further, he'd have trouble scratching up a fireball.

It was because of this that Zong Yan was a little bewildered by the look in their eyes.

Hey, hey, what's up? Everyone here's E-class, so just talk normally, okay?

"Oh, and even though I have this ability, that murder has nothing to do with me. If your organization wants me to clarify, I can provide evidence.

"Because I was framed."

No, we didn't actually think you were a suspect in the first place, He Yuan thought numbly.

Maybe at first because of the unknown state of affairs, the police had been on alert for a potential enemy. But the Dragon Group was a professional organization accustomed to fighting against otherworldly creatures. The murder case was obviously caused by some kind of extraterrestrial.