CHAPTER NINE

"Lady Eloise, please open your eyes."

Veronica's voice greeted me as soon as I opened my eyes. I can't get up yet; it's too early.

"My lady, you just received an invite from the royal palace."

I jolt awake and glance at the mail Veronica is handing. I bath and changed into garments before going to the dining room to meet my father and brother.

I state, "Good morning."

My father replies, "Good morning."

I took a seat and ate my breakfast.

Elliote said, "There's a trial later in the imperial court. We're all attending, you received the invitation correct?"

I nod

"It seems that there was another person, an imperial palace magician, who was also aware of what was happening the previous evening."

It's probably Raiden

"I mentioned last night that we do not have sufficient evidence to persuade everyone to trust us. In addition, since Viscount Caledon is not a person we thought we know, he will likely fabricate a story to get out of this problem."

I must take precautions or else I'll die.

We're currently in the trial. As I sat next to my brother, I noticed Raiden glancing at me. I turn and pay more attention in the trial. There are many nobility around today as well.

In the midst of the space, the Count Caledon is kneeling. He was detained earlier today.

The man in front remarked, "Let's all greet the royal family," and then the king and the queen appeared. We all applauds, but I could not see the heir to the throne anywhere.

"We are all aware of the story regarding the black market deal, but one of our people has recognized the mastermind. Please come forward," the emperor said.

When Raiden removed his hood, he grinned at everyone. 

"It may not be the strongest proof, but we know that it was the viscount Caledon based on the accent of his voice," according to Raiden.

The nobility started muttering in the entire room.

The emperor roared, "Silence!" and they all fell silent. He is quite ominous. "What do ya mean we?"

"Obviously, I would just not claim sole responsibility for finding the culprit; Iris Magdalena figured that out."

"Iris Magdalena?" the emperor questioned

Raiden dropped to his knees in front of the emperor then said, "Yes, your honor."

The emperor commanded, "Could you kindly come forward, Iris Magdalena," but nobody in the crowd stood up.

Viscount Caledon chuckled, "You fool, nobody in this kingdom named Iris Magdalena."

Raiden turned to face me and grinned before pointing towards my direction.

He answered, "She's here."

I'm shocked. He recognizes me even though I was wearing a mask last night.

Suddenly, everyone turned to face me

The emperor informs, "That is Eloise Ophelia, the daughter of the duke."

"I know, your honor," Raiden replied.

"Well, Lady Eloise, please come down here," the emperor orders.

"Y-Yes, your majesty," I murmured as I went to stand next to Raiden.

"You were present last night and claimed to have known Viscount Caledon, correct?"

I respond, "Yes, Your Majesty."

"How?"

"Viscount Caledon has previously visited our state for business purposes with my father, and they frequently converse, sometimes even while we dine, your highness," I explained.

Count Caledon exclaimed, "That's r-ridiculous! You can't identify the individual only by their intonation!"

I glanced at him, it's obvious I'm looking down at him, "So why are you quivering right now, viscount Caledon? You're frightened, aren't you? You're afraid that you'll lose so much money over this."

"Y-You arrogant psycho bitch! How dare you accuse me? P-Probably you're the one who managed the deal yourself,"

I remained silent for a little moment before he began laughing maniacally. The room was filled with his laughter.

"Therefore, I was correct. Your reputation is already tarnished, and nobody is going to believe you, you sack of shit!"

I play the victim in front of him, saying, "Oh, how vulgar, Viscount Caledon, to say such things to a young lady."

"W..wha---"

"It is obvious from your profanity and your statements that you are a filthy noble who exploits children for personal gain."

I observed his expression and smirked.

"Shut the hell up!" He shouted

Once more, the nobles began to mutter.

"I'll never sell them; I'm always kind to kids and everyone else."

"10000000 gold pieces is cheap for you, correct? You might've been dressed in a disguise last night, but you can't mute your tone. I'm not a fool as you assume, Viscount Caledon; I might be wicked to anyone and everyone, but you are even worse than me."

"I-I....."

We turn to look at the young woman who stands behind the nobles.

She said, "Your majesty, I'm.....count Caledon's assistant! I only became one of his people because he threatened me and my family! I-I'm truly sorry count Caledon! I'm ashamed, but everything Lady Eloise has said are actually the truth!"

Count Caledon muttered in delirium, "That bitch."

"How does it feel to be dragged to the brink, Viscount Caledon? Someone has claimed that you actually did it, and to make matters worse, she is your assistant."

He glared at me and cried, "You.....You really should have simply shut your lips then none of this would occurred! I'll destroy you! I swear I'll destroy you!"

The knights approach the count and lunge at him with their swords.

He turned to the emperor and said, "Viscount Caledon, you're being punished for selling slaves, which was already forbidden here in the Northern Empire, and thus the penalty will be.." The emperor nodded and said, "Death!"

Everyone concurred, and terror can be seen on the count's face. I grin at him and say, "Count, this is the outcome of your deed."

He appeared to be pleading for my sympathy, but I deliberately ignored him and return to my seat.

He was executed in public, beheaded.

Completely worn out, I yearned to return home. We opted to leave after his public beheading and go home.

We were walking down the hallway when I began feeling like I had been slashed by a dagger.

I turn to glance behind me, but the maids had obscured the individual.

Elliote inquires, "Eloise, is something wrong?"

"N-No, nothing is wrong." 

What in the world is this sensation? I have the impression that I am bound for tragedy.

_______

Author's note: EDITED!