seven. pound town

AT NIGHT, SHADYSIDE HIGH SCHOOL seemed more creepy than it actually was

AT NIGHT, SHADYSIDE HIGH SCHOOL seemed more creepy than it actually was. The walls which were white turned into a weird shade of green, and every squeak, every footstep, felt like it was blasted in full volume.

Because of Kate constantly reminding her of their conversation on the way to the school after minutes of planning, she could not get Simon off her head now. Although she didn't want to admit it, everything Kate has been telling her made so much sense.

"Whenever we go to Sunnyvale for football games. You always sit beside him on the bus."

Phoenix was confused at that: there was nothing romantic about that. She just liked sitting next to him: that's just how it's always been.

"You let him fall asleep in your lap." Kate had told her. "You never do that to anyone else. I tried it once and you slapped my head away."

It still didn't make sense to Phoenix. None of what Kate was saying was. So what if I'm okay with Simon sleeping on my lap? So what if I look at him first whenever I smile? So what if I refuse to hang out with her and Deena when Simon's not around? So what if I keep on staring at his hair? It was all platonic, after all.

But all cause of the traumatic events of the night, Nixie forgot one thing.

She kissed him back in an alleyway. There was no reason for that. Absolutely no reason.

But why did it feel like the best feeling in the world when they were supposed to be friends? Why were (as disgusting as Phoenix thought it was) there was a bunch of little fireworks exploding in her stomach? Why was she so weak in her knees?

Lord knew that friends don't kiss like that.

Phoenix paused from her pacing, staring at Simon who had arrived with a box of lost and found clothes. His black hair was still messy, spawn in different directions, which for some reason, bought a huge smile to her face.

Nixie's smile dropped. Oh fuck.

Oh no.

Oh fucking no.

All of a sudden, his stupid hair seemed way more attractive to her. His smile, the one he always wore, made her feel like she was floating in the air. Simon always said that his dark brown eyes looked like shit, but they were suddenly the most beautiful thing she's ever seen, even from a distance and bad lighting.

And without her even realizing it, a huge grin, the biggest grin everyone has ever seen on her, was plastered on her face.

It's like she was thirteen again when Phoenix had a crush on a boy named Chris: but this time, it was Simon. All she's aware of in this entire room of people and dead murderers is him.

Funny how she's never got this worked up over any of the boys and girls she's crushed on. What's even funnier was that this was her best friend.