Surveillance

So many of you have wanted this chapter and I've finally written it. But it will most likely be the only one of it's kind.

***********************************

Bright early spring sunshine shone down on Carter as she leaned against the side of her car, surveying the empty schoolyard. She glanced at her watch, seeing as the seconds ticked by. When the second hand hit the twelve, a muffled ringing filled the air. A minute later the front doors burst open and middle schoolers streamed out.

Carter couldn't help but smile as she watched them. Still young, they hadn't learned the art of keeping their emotions and thoughts private, everything was on full display. With her keen eyes, it was like she could read each thought that crossed their minds.

In the middle of the pack, Danny appeared. He had hit a growth sprout and stood a few inches taller than most of the students. Though he had his father's eyes, he had his mother's brown hair and golden skin tone, as well as her friendly personality. Almost all the kids who walked by him smiled and waved.

Danny cut away from the mass and turned back to the front doors. Though he returned other's hellos, he didn't talk to anyone. Carter crossed her arms, curious what made her little brother stop.

When he perked up, she followed his gaze. Coming out of the doors was a pretty girl alongside a boy that had the air of conceded bad boy.

Danny deflated a bit but held his ground. Carter watched him and the students around him as Danny watched the pair. They talked to each other and the girl laughed, teasingly pushing the boy's arm.

When they passed Danny, neither of them acknowledged his presence. Still, Danny followed them with his eyes.

With a drop of his shoulders, he headed towards the sidewalk and Carter. Though because of their father he was fit, he still had a young boy stride, like he wasn't quite sure the strength he had. Almost to Carter, a sweet-faced girl waved at him.

"See you tomorrow, Danny!" she said.

He nodded but looked mournful. "Bye, Pippa."

She hugged her binder and spun away, her curls bouncing around her. When Danny reached the curb and saw Carter, his whole face lit up. Carter grinned back at him.

"Hey, Corporal," she said.

"Hey, Sarge!"

Carter wanted to wrap her brother into a hug but knew the scene of affection might be detrimental to his reputation, so she held out her hand instead. Danny took it and they performed a quick but complicated handshake. One she'd created with him years ago, on a day where Danny had announced he wanted to be a spy. She'd said he needed a secret handshake and so they'd spent the better part of an hour coming up with one.

"So," Carter said. "Want me to show you my trick for breaking down a Glock 45 faster?"

Danny shoved his hands into his pockets, hesitant.

"Actually, could we go get ice cream at that place in the mall?" he asked.

To his credit, he didn't betray himself by looking away from her. It didn't matter though, she understood what was behind the request.

"Sure," she said. "I can always go for some ice cream."

Danny let out a breath and darted to the passenger side door. Carter slid into her seat and they drove off.

"Anything to report from today?" she asked.

Danny shrugged and picked at a small rip in his jeans.