○ 26

The night had started off splendidly. Her brother and herself were both sprawled out on the couch while their father retrieved their popcorn.

The movie they had decided on was non other than inception, a movie that their family would play on repeat at every movie night they had. It had been a while since they had watched it and Mari had almost forgotten what happens- underline almost.

"Here we go," her father placed the bowl of popcorn on the table in front of them before sitting back in the seat and pressing play.

Every light in the house was turned off to create the perfect atmosphere as the family had their much needed bonding time.

What started out as a fun family movie night turned horror madness once the wicked witch of the west, the step mum, came home.

Her presence and lack of spacial awareness turned Mari's once happy mood sour quite quickly. With her whining about hating the genre that Minsu chose filling the expanse almost automatically as she climbed into her fathers side, right in between where Mari was leaning her head on his shoulder, made her dad comply with her hideous whines and change the movie.

One her and her brother had a connection to as it held a lot of significance to them in the form of memories holding their father and mother once happily married.

So that's how Mari ended up in her room, door slammed shut to block out any of the repulsing sounds of the cringe romance flic her step mum deemed better than inception.

Her cocky, devilish persona sure was getting on Mari's nerves recently. She had no awareness of how utterly stuck up she sounded and she so wished her father would realise how much of a prick she was.

But her father was smitten, and she did promise she'd go gentle on the witch who takes up her fathers attention.

A guttural groan left the girls lips as she falls back onto her bed, anger fuming in her body as she was locked away from the ears of her family down stairs.

Pulling out her phone she quickly enters the chat of the person she wished to speak to the most.

Mum ❤️
Wed, 2, Sep 6:39pm

Hey mum, school was rough today but I got through. Minsu is doing okay, all he does is play games ahaha
I hope to hear from you soon, I miss you
Love you mum
Delivered

Today 9:58pm

Mum, I hope you come home soon
I really miss you
The witch just said that Inception was a shit movie
And I know that shouldn't be a big deal but it is
Because that movie is our movie. Y'know, yours, dads, Minsu's and mine
Our movie
It sucks here mum, I wish I knew where you were
Donghyuck came back a few weeks ago and idk it's just been hard
To see him with all my friends, with Minsu, it just reminds me of everything that happened
And I've been getting nightmares, memories of what happened and it's just been so hard. How can I pretend everything is okay when everything isn't
I wish you were here, maybe that'd bring me some sanity in the destruction of my life

Anyway... how are you? I hope you're good
I hope life and work is treating you well
I guess I should go now...
I love you mum
Delivered

Mari sniffles as her nose began to run, eyes blurry with tears as she presses the send button. Eyes waiting for the delivered sign to disappear, but she knew it wouldn't come, it never did.

Her mum probably had a new family, or was living her best life on a yacht in the Mediterranean ocean, eating grapes off of vines and sipping the finest wine.