Chapter 2 - The Assessment

When the rebel contact had left Groola's Place, Nomi and Tarik waited a while until they paid their drinks and left also. They walked back to the Aquarius in silence. Both were dwelling on their own thoughts. After entering the freighter, Nomi headed for the cockpit and entered the coordinates given in the nav computer before plotting several micro jumps. Tarik settled down in the copilot's seat and strapped in.
"Don't forget to destroy the flimsy plast, Nomi," he said, as he pushed the button to close the hatch.
"I'm on it," his friend responded and put the note in the cockpit's trash compactor. Then Nomi started the engines. Minutes later they ascended, headed for the jump point and made the first jump. The stars resolved in the streaks and whirls of hyperspace.

It was a long flight because of the micro jumps they made to shake possible pursuers.
After they had made the last jump, Nomi leaned back in her seat, wondering what would be waiting for them at their destination. Tarik looked out of the viewport and kept silent. He wondered why he was following the young woman into a new adventure. It was the same young woman who had tried to steal his ship years ago. Was it because she had saved him and the cargo at this day or was it since they became partners and friends? Either way he would never leave her alone now.
Their musings were interrupted by the signal which indicated that they had reached their destination. Nomi pulled the lever and they fell back in real space. In front of them they saw a Corellian Corvette. The same instant they heard a voice hailing them.
"Crew of the YT-1300, identify yourself," the female voice said. It wasn't in the harsh, demanding tone the smugglers were used by the Imperials they met occasionally.
"This is the Aquarius, we were given this coordinates at Corellia. Our contact said that you would expect us," Nomi answered the call, hoping that they won't be blasted in oblivion soon.
Then there was silence only interrupted by statics, until the female voice was to be heard again.
"You have permission to dock and to come onboard."
Nomi steered the freighter toward the corvette, where a flashing light indicated the assigned docking hatch. The experienced pilot attached her ship smoothly and waited patiently until the access point was sealed. Then she unstrapped and headed for the Aquarius' hatch, followed by Tarik and opened it. At the same time the hatch of the corvette opened with a hiss and both smugglers found themselves looking at the business ends of blaster rifles held by rebel soldiers.
"Your weapons, please...slowly," the commander of the soldiers said.
Nomi and Tarik unholstered their blasters, handed it over and then they were lead deeper in the ship flanked by the soldiers who kept a close eye at them. Finally they reached a room which seemed to be their destination. The commander opened the door and made way so the two smugglers could enter.

After they entered, the door closed with a hiss behind them and they were alone with an elderly man sitting behind a desk in the sparsely furnished room, who took a drag of his cig before addressing them.
"So you are...," he cast a glance at the datapad which lied on the desk. "So you are the two who were announced to me."
Then he leaned back in his chair and looked expectantly at the young woman and the non-human with the feathered head, while he took another drag of his cig.
"Your name rang a bell when I read it, Miss Darklighter. We lost a pilot with the same name recently. A relative of yours?" He waited for a reaction.
"Biggs was my cousin. His death is the reason why we're here, Sir," Nomi responded, looking the man right in the eyes. There was something in his habit which told her that he was an Imperial who joined the Rebellion.
The man, who didn't even bother to give them his name, raised an eyebrow.
"So you are here to seek revenge for your cousin's death? We have no need for people like this. What we need are people, burning for the cause, people with who we can achieve our goal to free the galaxy from Imperial oppression."
Nomi stared at the former Imperial. She knew that Tarik and her to become members of the Alliance were at stake, but it wasn't in her nature to keep her mouth shut, where it might be better. She frowned and cast a glance at Tarik before speaking up.
"Frankly, I doubt that the Alliance is in a position to be this picky if it comes to recruiting people who want to fight. My motives shouldn't matter, as long as I'm willing to put my life on the line for the cause, Sir."
The man took another drag of his cig, before he stubbed it out in an ash tray. Then he rose from his seat and approached the young woman. He stood there with the arrogance of a former Imperial, his hands clasped behind his back as he looked down at Nomi.
"I hope you have more than a wicked tongue, which you have to offer to the Alliance," the man said and cast also a glance at Tarik. "You both will serve at the turbolaser battery here onboard...dismissed."
He was about to turn when Nomi mouthed up again.
"But we're excellent pilots, Sir," she said, but Tarik put his hand on her arm and shook his head.
The officer looked at her and frowned. He had never encountered someone who was this bold like this young woman.
"Both you and your companion either serve at the turbolasers or you can leave right now. It's your choice," then he turned and walked back to his desk where he settled down in his seat, looking at the smugglers expectantly, while he lit another cig.
Nomi rose from her seat after she had made up her mind, being certain that Tarik would agree on her decision.
"It seems you have two new gunners, Sir."
Then she turned on her heels and left the room without another word, followed by Tarik.
After the door closed behind them with a hiss, the officer shook his head and took a drag of his cig. He wondered how long the Darklighter woman would last in their ranks with such an attitude. If he was true to himself he sometimes missed the order and discipline of the Imperial Navy.