Chapter 5

Nick and I have been cooped up in this house for three days. We are going out of the house today, Nick wants to show me something. I don't think we should but it's whatever. My brother and I have always been close, we had a few ups and downs especially when we lost our mother. We've just always been there for each other.

"Let's go." Nick gestures for me to come on.

I get up and we walk into the garage.

"No, we're not using the car," I cross my arms.

"Why not?"

"It's Oliver's car and if he sees it driving down the streets he'll find us."

"Fine," he sighs.

We decide to walk on foot. As we're walking I look over my shoulders every few minutes. I've been taken against my will more times than I can count so I guess I can be paranoid.

"What's that?" I turn to Nick.

"Sorry it's my phone," he pulls it out of his back pocket. "Unknown number."

He answers the phone putting it on speaker.

"I can see you guys."

We look at each other. It's our Dad.

"What do you want?" Nick spat.

"You two." Our Dad hangs up the phone.

"We need to run, now!"

Nick pushes me forward and we begin running. My Dad has cameras all over the city, it's almost impossible to get out of his sight.

"This way," I pull Nick and we make a left.

We continue running down different streets making continuous turns. We made one last turn with two men in front of us.

"Dammit," I mumble under my breath.

Nick pushes me behind him blocking me from the two guys.

"We don't want to hurt you." One of them says stepping closer.

"But we will if we have to." The other says.

Nick and I start running the other way.

I look back for a second and Nick is on the floor with a knife in the back of his leg. I can tell he wants me to keep running, but I'm not leaving him to deal with our Dad alone. I go back. The two guys run over to blindfold us and tie our hands, they then throw us into a van.

When the van stops they drag us out keeping our blindfolds on.

"Walk correctly." One of them says.

"Maybe you shouldn't have thrown a knife in my leg," Nick argues.

The guys take off our blindfolds and leave us in an office-looking room. They lock the door from the outside and I watch them walk away from the small window in the door. I carefully study my surroundings and my eyes look at the desk in front of me. It has a name stand with my Dad's name. We're in his office. I walk around to his desk, all the drawers are unlocked as usual. The drawers are traps, if you open them it sets off an alarm and if my Father gets to you before you leave, you die.

"Would you stop touching stuff and help me," Nick criticized.

I continue touching stuff, "I'm pretty sure you know how to take a knife out of your own leg."

"Mallory."

"Fine." I huff.

I walk over to him and sit down by his leg. He lifts it enough for me to grab the knife. I yank it out of his leg and he groans in pain.

I stand back up, "I don't have anything to sew it up with."

"Here," he takes off his shirt and rips it.

I tie it tightly around his leg to stop the bleeding and cover the wound.

I quickly stand up hearing the door unlocking. My father walks in and sits at his desk, He looks my brother and I up and down. He continues to look at us, we don't look our Father in his eyes. The last time we did it I was twelve and Nick was fourteen, we had to play a 'game' and whoever won had to kill our mom (we didn't know that). I sometimes think Nick wishes he would have won so his baby sister didn't have to do it, sometimes wished he won too.

"My two favorite prodigy assassins," Our father claps.

We stay silent.

"I have a mission for you two."

"Screw your mission." Nick spat.

Our Father stands up and strolls to Nick, "Don't be so harsh son." He pats him on the back.

"And you, how do you feel?" He says looking at me and laughs.

I look at Nick and look back at my Father.

"F*ck you," I punch my Father straight in his nose.

Nick and I sprint out the office door, down the hall into an elevator.

"Take this." Nick hands me the knife I pulled out his leg.

"Oh please, you need it more than I do. You're the one with the limp."

"Whatever you say Mal."

The elevator doors open and we step out, the two guys that took us come running down the hall. I run towards them and Nick limps of course. That's exactly why he has the knife.

I grab one of the guys by their shirt and knee them in the stomach, making him take a few steps back. He punches me in the face and grabs my hair tilting my head back.

He whispers in my ear, "I don't think your Father will be too mad if I bring you back a little bloody."

"You're not going to be alive to find out." I smirk.

In the corner of my eye I see Oliver. Two gunshots go off and the guy lets go of my hair. He slumps to the floor and blood pours out of his body, I turn to Oliver and he's holding the gun. I look at Nick and the guy he was fighting is also on the floor.

"If you guys want to get out of here we need to run now!" Oliver shouts.

Oliver passed me grabbing my arm, "Come on. I didn't come here for nothing."

"You're never going to get your sister back Oliver!"

I turn around and my Dad is there. He reaches into his blazer pulling out his gun.

"Get down!" I scream pushing Oliver to the ground.

I look back for one second and feel a bullet pierce my arm.

"There's no running from me!" My Father shouts.

"Get up" Oliver says.

Nick limps over to us helping me up. We run out of the building and into a car.

"I had to get another one since you guys stole mine."