Chapter 20

Secret Santa

"So, El," Will said while walking beside her to go downstairs, "you ready to try to get our parents together?"

"Please, I've been ready for this even before we met." El scoffed, making Will laughed.

"That's our number one priority here," Will said holding his hand out for El to shake.

El gladly took his hand and gave it a quick shake. "Number one priority."

"I'm determined, are you?"

"I'm not leaving here until they go on a date," El crossed her arms to prove that she was serious.

"Okay, that's enough you two," Dustin cut in, clearly just wanting to open some presents. "It's time for Secret Santa."

Dustin pushed the pair over to the area where everyone was settling down with one gift in their hands.

"Okay," Mike sat down next to El, "who goes first?"

"Me!" Dustin's hand shot up. "Whoever got me, let me have my gift please!"

"Okay, jeez," Max said, handing Dustin a medium sized box with red and green wrapping paper.

"Awesome!" Dustin snatched it from her hands and tore into the wrapping paper. The gift was in an ordinary cardboard that Dustin also ripped open and inside was a blue and white baseball cap.

"To replace the one that got stuck in the tree," Max explained.

"That was your fault," Dustin reminded her.

"Hey, I replaced it didn't I?"

"Okay," El stopped the conversation before it got out of hand, "Will, I was your secret Santa."

She handed him a longer package wrapped in blue wrapping paper.

Will, unlike Dustin, took his time unwrapping the gift and greeting the box open. His gift was a bunch of paint brushes, markers, pens and pencils.

Will's widened so did his smile as he looked at the art supplies. "This is great! I've been needing new materials. Thanks, El!"

"No problem," El responded, happy with his response.

"Here you go, Mike," Dustin sighed, slamming ten dollars worth of quarters down on the table. "Now you don't have to steal from Nancy the next time we go to the arcade."

"Gee, thanks," Mike said, looking at the quarters scattered around the table due to Dustin not even putting them in a bag.

"Max," Lucas said, grabbing something from behind the couch. He held out a new skateboard that had a bow on top of it to replace the one that Billy broke the week before that. "Here you go."

"Lucas," Max's eye lit up, looking over the skateboard, "I love it! Thank you."

"Okay, Lucas," Will handed Lucas a smaller box that was wrapped in gold wrapping paper.

Lucas smiled as he opened the gift and held it out for everyone to see. "Awesome! A new bandanna!" It had a nice red striped pattern on it and Lucas didn't hesitate to put it on right away. "Thanks, man."

"No problem."

"Alright," Max gained everyone's attention as she looked around the group, "I think the only person here left that hasn't gotten a gift yet, is El. And Mike hasn't given a gift yet."

"Yeah, we know. I'm her secret Santa," Mike rolled his eyes before turning to face El. He dug around in his pocket for a second before pulling out a folded piece of paper. "Here."

El took the paper and opened it to immediately recognize the hand writing of Mike's with the first two words.

Dear El,

It's hard to believe that just a few months ago I sent out the first letter to you that would soon became many letters. It's hard to believe that not too long ago we were writing letters to each other while we didn't even know what the other person looked like. We were trying out ice breakers and just starting to get to know each other's personalities.

Sending the first letter out, I never thought that I would get a response back from someone like you. Especially, since how you always talked about you being shy or too nervous to talk to people in person.

I remember sending each other photos of our faces and trying to guess what the other person was like. To be honest, when I first saw your photo, I didn't expect you to be so pretty. In a way I was happy we met over letters because if we met in person first, I know I would have been tongue tied.

And then we did meet in person when you surprised me on my birthday. We got you to sign your name in the treehouse making you apart of our party.

Now, I know you're probably wondering, "this letter is supposed to be my gift, lame" but no this is not your gift.

The gift that I wanted to give to made me to nervous to say it out loud. So, I wrote it down so I would be less nervous.

El, I like you, and I was wondering if it would okay if I could take you out to dinner tonight? Just you and me.

Let me know

Love,
Mike

El finished reading the letter and smiled turning to face Mike. Mike was playing with his hands nervously as he waited for her answer.

El smile grew as she looked at Mike.

"Yes, I'll go to dinner with you."

Author note
Oh my gosh, guys. Number 1: the chapter; love it, but 2: I posted twice in two days. That is unheard of in this book and it's so cool.

It will probably never happen again.

Love ya!!❤️❤️❤️