Chapter Fourteen

Chapter Fourteen

"Hi yah!" A peppy voice chimes, sitting directly across from me. I look up to see a wide grin spread on the younger boy's face.

"Um, hey?" Who is this kid and why did he have to sit right by me?! This place is huge!

He takes a swig of his strawberry milk. "Why are you here?"

I raise an eyebrow. Is this normal? Do teenage boys usually come up to strangers and start conversations about why they're there? Isn't it a little rude? No?

"My bo- friend's mom is sick." Is Dominic even my boyfriend? Was I about to give it all up to someone I wasn't even in a relationship with?! Oh my god. I'm a ho!

"Oh," the boy pouts, "I'm sorry! Tell him I hope his mom gets better!"

I smile a little at how sincere the boy sounded. He doesn't even know this woman yet he cares. When I was his age all I cared about was video games. I thought society was falling but it seems there's still a few good ones left.

"I will." I promise.

The boy grins showing off his very white teeth.

"My friend Garrett is here." He sighs. "Oh! I'm Ben by the way!"

"Tyler," I pause for a second. "How old are you?" I can't help but to ask. It was eating at me.

"Oh! I'm sixteen!"

Sixteen?

"Oh! I know! I'm a little mature for my age, at least that's what my mom always tells me!"

This kid can't be serious!

"I best be going! Garrett should be up by now! Bye Tyler!" He waves goodbye to me and walks out of the cafeteria, his dirty blond hair bouncing along with his steps.

I didn't realize how tall he is. He easily passes my 5'8!

I sigh and lay my head down on my arms. I have a feeling the next few days are going to be very hard. The doctors told Dominic and I his mother has at most a week. Of course he didn't believe it. He says his mom will recover, but I think in his heart he knows the truth.

Once I'm back to the room I'm greeted with a surprise. Dominic's mom was sitting up and talking. I freezes at the door, not certain if I should go in or not. But as soon as he sees me, Dominic waves me in.

"Mom, this is Tyler. The person I've been telling you about." He reaches over and pulls me to his side.

His fingers lace with mine.

"Oh yes, Tyler." His mom says weakly. "You watch over my baby and make sure he eats enough! He's so skinny theses days."

I crack a smile. "Don't worry. I'll keep him well fed." Dominic squeezes my hand.

"Dominic, If you don't mind i'd like to Tyler for a minute." She smiles faintly. Dominic nods and walks out of the room.

"Sit." She tells me, patting the spot next to her. I carefully lower myself onto the bed. "He loves you."

I freeze. "W-What?!"

"I've never seen that look in his eyes when he looked at you. Now listen, my little Domino usually isn't one to tell you how he feels, just give him time sweetie."

I smile a nod. "Don't worry. I'm not going anywhere."

"And w-when I'm gone I want you to do everything you can to keep him happy. His favorite food is chili, and he loves the beach." She takes a deep breath and closes her eyes. "I feel it coming, and I'm no longer scared. Domino needs to see that."

I frown down at my lap. "I'll help him however I can."

That night Dominic's mom passed peacefully in her sleep. It's like she just had to get what she told me out before moving on.

Dominic is a wreak.

"Shh, Dominic, she was so sick. The doctors said it was her time! She can rest now." I hold him close to me. "I know it hurts, but she doesn't want you upset."

"Why me?" He cries. "Why did she have to be so sick? I made her life such a hell and when I finally realize my mistake I can't help her!"

"It'll be okay," I mumble softly. "She's still here, she's just not with us." I've always believed in something more than life. I don't know what's waiting for us after we're dead but it has to be something wonderful.

I had been thinking about what his mom said, the love thing, and realized somehow over these past few months I'd fallen in love with him. And maybe right now it's just puppy love but I know him and I should be together. I'm the only one who will go through all this pain with him.

Dominic hugs me tight, pulling me even closer than I already was. "You're right," His voice cracks, "she can finally be happy. She doesn't need me to be sad." He softly kisses my head.

"I'll go make us dinner, okay?" I smile sheepishly up at him. Dominic nods and I walk off to the kitchen.

I know it's going to be quite a long time before he's going to be okay again, but I can't help but to feel like this is a good start. And once he is I'll tell him that I love him. But for the meantime I'm going to keep the physical stuff down. The last thing I need is Dominic having to worry about pleasing me. I'm going to try my best to make his life perfect. Well as perfect as I can.

Just as I'm starting up the chili there's a knock at our door.

"I'll get it," Dominic tell me. I shrug it off, thinking it's probably some sells person or the Jesus bicycle guys who always wear the nice clothes.

But as soon as I hear the door creak open I realize it's not at all who I thought it was.

"Oh Dominic! I'm so sorry!" The voice cries making me nearly drop the bag of beans in my hands.

What the hell is she doing here?!

______________________________

And don't think this is the last of Ben...if you get what I'm saying!