eight | a billion sorries

Chapter Eight:
A Billion Sorries

LUCY WAS WALKING to her car after rehearsal that afternoon when she saw the Caswell twins walking away from the parking lot. Normally they caught a ride with Ej. She wondered what changed.

"Ashlyn! Adam!" Lucy called out, waving her arm at them when they both looked over at her. She jogged up to them and smiled confusedly.

"Where are you guys going? Why aren't you riding with Ej?" she asked.

"Our cousin is an idiot," Adam blurted. Lucy made a face and nodded slowly.

"Okay, I won't disagree with you on that, and I'm afraid to ask about the sudden hostility, so instead, I will ask if you two want a ride with me," Lucy slowly concluded.

"Lucy Carlisle, you are the best," Ashlyn sighed of relief.

"We would love a ride, thank you," Adam agreed. Lucy smiled at them both and motioned for them to follow her to her car.

Lucy waved brightly to Mrs. Caswell from her car, bidding Ashlynn and Adam a goodbye as they thanked her for the ride. Ashlyn suddenly taking something from her mom and running back over to Lucy.

"My mom wanted you to have this for gas money for giving us a ride," Ashlyn told her, holding out a 20$ bill.

"Ash, my dad pays for my gas," Lucy chuckled, trying to push the money back.

"Then save it for Starbucks," Ashlyn muttered suggestively. Lucy pursed her lips and looked up at Ashlynn.

"You guys want another ride tomorrow morning? Starbucks is on me?" Lucy suggested. Ashlyn laughed and nodded in agreement.

"We'll be there. Thanks again, Luce," Ashlyn told her. Lucy smiled and nodded back, reversing from the driveway with one more wave before heading home.

Rehearsal was early the next day, and Lucy was nervously looking around for Nini, who was late. Lucy desperately wanted to like Gina, but she was starting to get fishy vibes from the girl. Also Ej was making her suspicious as well. Chaos. Pure chaos.

Nini finally showed up an hour late, and Lucy frowned. Ricky also tried to talk to Nini, who was clearly already in a bad mood, only to have her brush that off. Good lord almighty. Lucy was sure she would start growing gray hairs by the end of this show.

"Lucy, are you free tonight? Nini says it's an emergency," Kourtney told the older girl who nodded reassuringly.

"Yeah, sure," Lucy agreed.

[Lucy to camera]

"Okay, listen, Ashlyn and Adam are being really weird towards Ej, Ej is being weird overall, Gina is being super sus about so much, Ricky's still trying to get back with Nini, now Nini wants me and Kourtney to come over tonight, and I am losing my mind over all of this— this— madness! It's madness I tell you!"

[Presently]

Lucy and Kourtney were both laying on Nini's bed as the girl paced back and forth and ranted to them, "Okay, so here's the deal. Are you two sitting down? Excellent. So it seems like Gina really wants my part in the show, and she's basically willing to kill me to get it."