Real

On Friday after picking the kids from school, we stopped by the market for fresh fruits on the other side of town as we made our way home. The kids had been going on all week about how much they would like to visit a natural market that was not limited to what they saw at the mall. It took some time but we finally located one on the far end of town, just a few miles from where I lived before moving in with the Maxwell's.

Just like everything else I had done in the last three days, this was a perfect, most needed distraction, especially since he had had to work home more often since he recovered. Our conversations after I walked out of the elevatpor almost crying had been limited to the hi's and hello.

Any distraction I got, I took it happily, because I would much rather be distracted than cry my eyes out all day which was basically all I wanted to do every time I remembered how our conversation ended in the lift days ago.

After I had asked Lucas the one question that stood between us, I got my answer in a hesitant silence. He had not spoken a word, yet he had proved to me that he was never letting go of her.

His silence was all I needed to know that I had lost, lost to Sarah.

The first time I let myself fall in love for real and boom look who got her heart toyed with.

So instead of whiling my time away licking the same wounds, Lucas kept adding salt over and over again, I distracted myself first by helping Mia prepare for her engagement which was now only a week away.

Like every human who was about to make a big step, especially in the right direction, she had become more conscious and almost paranoid with worry and anxiety. She was more skeptical about what would otherwise be considered trivial, even something as simple as picking out a flower made her cry. I was glad to be her third eye, with Lillian and Zoey sharing the spot of her second eye. I spent more than half of Wednesday making the final choices for her engagement, after which I went through my regular routine after getting the kids from school.

Thursday was spent with my best friend, talking and engaging in what Celine would usually call harmless gossip and of course juicy deets. Sadly I did not have any deets to share, but I could share in her joy at having found the one. At least one of us was happy with the man they chose to love. speaking of which, I was thrilled to hear that she found her happily ever after again. Whatever problems she and Alex shared, they were well on their way to solving them. I was happy because she was happy. I still did not like that Alexander guy though, but I could not be selfish. My best friend was genuinely happy, I had to be happy with her too.

The kids kept me just as busy the rest of the time I spent at home so I did not have a reason to run into Lucas ever once since I raced out of the elevator. They were in the final weeks of school after which they would be taking their school breaks for a few weeks. Those weeks I intended to speed bonding over lost time with my best friend. I would use that time to flush every painful memory of whatever I shared with Lucas completely out of my system until his name on my lips no longer meant anything until his touch would no longer send fire dancing through my veins.

Lucas had tried to talk a few times since our fall out in the elevator which was not exactly a fallout but a renewed splinter for my heart that was already shredded into a million pieces. After his reply of silence back in the elevator though I felt there was nothing else to go through or talk about.

"Will you burn down and destroy everything and memory that has to do with Sarah in that room?"

He had neither said yes nor no bit his silence was all I needed. He was contemplating the option. If he had to think twice about choosing me and Sarah, Lucas did not deserve me or my love and trust. I had to let him go and letting him go was what I had decided to do.