Chapter 11

"Maybe I was falling, or maybe not."

LISA

"Uh-uhrm," I cleared my throat when Jennie stopped running. She was still holding my hand. We are at the oval and it's freaking hot!

"What?" she faced me when I cleared my throat again. There wasn't anything on her face that I can read. It was blank.

"Y-you're still holding my hand."

She let go of my hand straightaway. She also took a step farther away from me. It's as if she was burnt by feeling my skin next to hers.

She sat down on the bleacher. I sat next to her. She wasn't talking again. She was just looking at the field that was enveloped by the sun's beaming rays.

I smiled at the thought that she knew my name. I don't know why but it somewhat tickles my heart everytime I remember how she shouted my name through the crowd.

"Stop smiling. You're starting look like an idiot," Jennie broke the ice.

"That's harsh jagiya."

She turned her eyes on me, her eyebrows crimped.

"I told you not to call me that."

"I love calling you that."

"I hate hearing that."

"You hate everything. I'm not surprised."

"This conversation is over," she stood up but I held the edge of her skirt using my thumb and pointy finger without looking at her.

"You brought me here without my consent. Let's stay for 5 minutes more."

She didn't talk, she didn't move either.  She was thinking. Then she sat again.

"Why did you run away from your suitors?"

"It's none of your business."

This is driving me nuts! How am I supposed to drive a conversation if she's gonna talk back like that?

"It is. You DRAGGED me here."

"You were in the crowd."

"That doesn't give you the right to get me involved."

"You looked at me."

"Everyone was looking at you."

"But you're the only familiar face amongst them."

"Don't you have any friends?"

"I do. They're going back next week."

"They got suspended?"

"No, stupid. They attended a competition."

Am I the only one who is interested to keep this conversation longer? Maybe I am because I'm the only one who kept on asking. And Jennie? This girl beside me? Yes, she's answering my questions but her tone, it always sounds like she's uninterested to keep this going.