Chapter 4: Closer

Three weeks later, Ashera's stomach started to show, but it still wasn't quite evident to others that she was pregnant. The only ones who knew of her pregnancy were regulars and staff. Her pregnancy also wasn't an inconvenience to her work. However, Jill was quite a worrywart and would take on Ashera's tasks.

"You should rest Ash! I'll take care of cleaning for the morning."

"But-"

"No buts! I'll handle everything physical, you should handle something not too taxing, like the front counter!"

Ashera sighs and smiles at Jill. The young woman is going to be fine woman in the future. Kind, helpful, considerate and just lovely. "Alright then."

Ashera stays at the front, greeting customers and seeing guests off.

"Alright, your room is 206. Please have a pleasant stay." Ashera said to the mother and son pair. The mother glanced at Ashera's stomach and chuckled softly. She looked at Ashera with gentle eyes. "Are you expecting, miss?"

Ashera blinked in surprise and nodded with a smile. "Yes."

The child beside the woman hugged his mother's waist. The mother placed her hand on her child's head and gently rubs. "I have two kids actually. My daughter is with her father at home. We're traveling to get home."

"I see. I wish you safe travels then."

"We'll be staying in the village for a while. I'd be happy to give you advice. Us fellow mothers have to help one another after all."

Ashera  was touched. The people coming in and out of the village were always so nice.  "That's very thoughtful of you. Thank you so much."

After some small chatter, the mother and son pair left to go upstairs and settle in their room. Ashera looked down and placed her hand on her stomach. She began to hum, knowing the baby could hear her. She always sang to him as much as she could and talked to him, along with Jill. Jill started to proclaim herself as the baby's big sister and Ashera loved that.

"I want a room!"

A loud voice suddenly boomed through the tavern. Ashera looked at the entrance to find a large, drunken man. He hiccups a few times before dragging himself in front of Ashera and slamming a bottle of wine on the wooden table. "Give me a room!"

Ashera frowned and her hand didn't leave her stomach. "Sir, please calm down."

"Don't tell me what to do-" Before the man could scold her, he had taken a proper look at Ashera and smirked. "My, aren't you a pretty elf? Want to have a room with me?"

Ashera almost threw up. She felt disgust and anger boiling inside of her. She glared at the man, denying his request. "No. Please leave, you are disturbing the other customers."

The man grabbed Ashera's wrist and pulled her closer, "Why can't you just listen to me who-"

Before the man could finish his sentence, he was suddenly pulled by back the collar. As he was about to turn and punch whoever pulled him back, the person kicked the back of the drunken man's legs, making him kneel on the ground.

"Boss..." Ashera mutters out those words.

Royce clicked his tongue and grabbed the man's head. "Apologize."

"Who-"

When the drunk man saw Royce's red eyes gazing dangerously at him, he shivered. The man trembled as he looked up at Ashera and stuttered. "I-I'm sorry." When he said those words, Royce finally lets him go.

Royce kicks the door open and demanded. "Leave."

The drunk man said nothing else and ran out the inn.

Royce sighs and shakes his head, closing the door. He turns to Ashera. "You look fine, but I'll ask. Are you okay?"

Ashera was silent for a moment. A bit dazed, but came to her senses and nodded. She smiled. "Thank you boss."

Royce shrugs. "It was nothing. It's my duty to protect my employees."

Ashera nods. "Of course."

Royce's gaze lowered. "...The baby?"

Ashera responds. "He's alright. He felt a bit afraid, but he's okay now. Though a bit shaken up." Ashera's fondly looks at her stomach and coos. "It's okay Lucius. Mommy's okay now."

Royce approaches Ashera. "So you can feel his emotions too?"

Ashera nods. "Yes."

Royce tilts his head. "Your mother's okay now kid. Don't be scared."

Ashera looked up at Royce in surprise. She didn't expect her boss to talk to her baby. But honestly, it was a pleasant surprise. Ashera and Royce never talked to each other much, it was mostly about work and asking if Ashera can still keep up with work. "Did he respond to me?"

Ashera chuckles.

"What's funny?"

Ashera answered. "He likes you, boss."

"Me? But we don't know each other well yet. Your baby is weird."

"..."

"What?"

"He's fuming in anger."

"Ahh...sorry. Sorry Lucius, I didn't mean weird in a bad way. Does he actually understand what we're saying?"

Ashera shakes her head. "No, but he can sense our emotions. He forgives you, he's saying he likes you again."

"..." Royce sighs. "I can already feel that he'll be protective of his mother."

"Eh? You think so? Wah!"

"What's wrong? Does it hurt anywhere?" Royce reached out his hands, but he didn't know where to hold Ashera. It was awkward. Ashera shakes her head and explained. "He...He really likes you. He's really happy right now."

Royce's tense shoulders relax. "Well if he's happy, that's good then. I'll get back to work, don't work to hard."

Ashera nods. "Yes boss, thank you."

Royce hums and leaves to go upstairs to his office. Ashera was about to work on something, but she heard a teasing hum beside her. She saw Jill with a broom, resting her chin on top of her hands on the broom. "J-Jill?"

"You and boss look really good together!"

"..."

Processing...

Processing...

Ashera's felt steam burst out on top of her head. She turned red as she felt her baby's confusion at his mother's sudden burst of emotions. "N-No! Um, well, I...Jill, don't tease like that. The boss and I aren't like that. Oh look, Lucius is confused now."

Jill chuckles. "I'm not teasing. I really thought you and boss looked like Husband and Wife for a moment!"

Ashera turns even redder. "We're not!"

Jill laughs louder. "Ash, how do you feel about the boss?"

Ashera shakes her head vigorously. "He's a good man!"

Jill smirks. "Oh? and...?"

Ashera pouts. "Go back to work Jill. The guests will be coming down for breakfast soon!"

Jill waves her hand, walking off.

"Ugh...." Ashera strokes her bump. "Mommy's okay, baby. She just got a bit confused..."

That's right...confused.