Chapter Forty Eight - Dane

Dane ~

I don't know what I was expecting. She had every right to hate me, but part of me was hoping she'd throw herself in my arms and let me kiss her tears away as if we hadn't completely broken her.

Every cell in my body wanted to touch her, wanted to scoop her up and hold her, but she wasn't ready to allow that. She had backed away from me, putting as much space between us as possible which gutted me, but I had to respect her wishes and need for space even if I fucking hated it.

I paced my hotel room angry at myself, angry at Tyson for talking me into this shit as I watched the cameras in Kinsley's apartment.

She had eaten two bites of her dinner alone before throwing it out, watched a movie alone placing two pillows on either side of her, and had music constantly playing as if she couldn't stand the silence. Every few seconds she'd wipe a tear from her cheek and I wanted to reach through the screen and comfort our girl.

Fuck this.

I knew I had agreed to give her space, but I couldn't watch her hurt like that.

Keying the codes that I had programmed, I let myself into the elevator and up to the penthouse, but was intercepted by a large body with a small brain. 

"She said not to let you up." The man said, putting his hands on my chest before he realized what a huge mistake that was.

"Yeah? Well I pay your fucking salary and I say, I can't go wherever the fuck I want." I growled, pushing his hands off my chest harshly

I noticed the asshole didn't follow me as I made my way down the hall to Kinsley's door. But as soon as I reached the door frame I became nervous and shifted back and forth on my feet before I knocked.

"Who is it?" Kinsley's sweet voice echoed from the other side of the door.

"It's me, Kins."

There was a long pause and the silence ate me alive as I wanted to see if she was going to send me away.

The seconds felt like hours, but I eventually heard her unlatching the locks on the other side of the door.

Thank fuck.

I ran my hand through my hair quickly as she slowly opened the door.

"What are you doing here Dane?" She asked quietly.

"I needed to talk to you Kinsley. Will you let me in so we can talk?" I was practically begging.

Kinsley chewed at her lip and twirled her hair nervously between her fingers before she answered me.

"You can come in and talk...but you can't stay." She said flatly.

I'll do whatever you say sweet Kinsley, just please talk to me.

"I swear I'll leave. You have my word."

She scoffed at the second half of my statement, but she opened the door and let me inside.

I watched her walk toward the couch and finally could see her fully. She had lost so much weight and her steps were slow and careful as if she was about to collapse at any moment.

"Did you eat dinner baby?" I asked, already knowing the answer was no.

"Yes. I did." She lied as she covered herself in a blanket.

Two bites doesn't constitute a meal.

"Okay, gorgeous." I relented.

We sat there staring at each other for a second or two still in disbelief that we were actually in the same room.