Chapter 34: A Tragic Hero

(A flashback chapter)

Nemuri Kayama = Midnight (Nana's foster mother)

Shota Aizawa = Eraser Head (Nana's uncle and adoptive father)

Third Person's POV

Nana Osaki's parents Daisuke Osaki and Junko Saotome were friends with some well-known pro heroes; the most significant ones were Aizawa, Midnight, Endeavor, All Might, Present Mic, and Best Jeanist. So throughout her entire life, she was always surrounded by those people. Nana witnessed and learned about every odd and end of the life of a hero from very close; the success, the failure, the sadness, the happiness, the loss, the achievement, and the struggle. And throughout this path of learning, she received important life lessons from everyone around her.

Nana lost her parents when she was only five years old. So from the age of five, she was raised by her own uncle who was now her adoptive father, Shota Aizawa aka pro hero Eraser Head. And besides Aizawa, there was another individual who was always there for Nana in every thick and thin. And that individual was none other than her foster mother, Nemuri Kayama aka pro hero Midnight.

When Nana was born, Aizawa was a 15-year-old 1st-year high school student and Nemuri was a 16-year-old 2nd-year high school student, who both went to UA High. To Nana, Nemuri wasn't just a mother-like figure, she was her idol. Whatever Nemuri did and said mesmerized Nana. In Nana's eyes, Nemuri Kayama aka Midnight was the ultimate icon. Even though Nemuri wasn't her biological mother or didn't have any sort of connection by blood, Nana still inherited Nemuri's few personalities, especially her unpredictably serious, temperamental, and sadistic side. Nana also had grown up to be quite intelligent, perceptive, and articulate just like Nemuri herself.

Not to mention, Nemuri was the one who pushed Aizawa in the first place to adopt Nana and take responsibility as her legal guardian.

"Oh, Kayama. How is life as a school teacher treating you?" Aizawa asked.

"It's so fulfilling." Nemuri giggled from the other side of the call. "My kids are all such cuties... And the classes are a lot of fun. Teaching is giving me a holy perspective. Being at school is just great, you know? It really feels like the place where I belong."

"That's so?" Aizawa raised an eyebrow. "Personally I hated school. Not too many great memories."

"Now, now. Must not be picky. A job is a job."

"It's not my job." Aizawa sighed.

"Oh, but it will be." Nemuri smiled. "We will have you teaching at UA soon enough. Yamada is starting his own tenure as a teacher next semester...So all that is left is for you to make the big leap."

"Stop acting like me and him are attached at the hip..." Aizawa grumbled. "Besides I never give anyone an indication that I was on board the teacher train."

"Oh, but Yamada told me... 'He's the kind of guy who can't take actions without a good shove from behind'..." she chuckled.

"Tell him that he is the kind of guy who meddles too much for his own good." Aizawa frowned.

"I agree though that you have been shying away from what really matters." She sighed.

"Correction... Both of you meddle too much for your own good." Aizawa clicked his tongue in annoyance.