Chapter 12

The incomparable softness of a bed greets you as you wake up. It would be the dream of many to be in such a bed, but for you the warmth in it feels agonizing, therefore you kick off the blanket that lays on you.

'They are awake!', somebody says while putting back your cover.

'Hot... I don't want hot...'

You try to push it off again, though this time another person is quicker than you and pins your arms firmly to the mattress without applying too much pressure. '(Y/N), I know that you don't feel well, but your fever won't go down if you lay here only with sleepwear and nothing else.'

'Who protects hot?'

Opening up your eyes you see an unfamiliar room with two males you are able to recognize: Diluc on your right and Aether on your left side.

'What...y- you...d-', your words are shaky and barely audible due to your exhausted state.

Aether takes your hand and gently moves circles over it with is own. 'Pshh, save your breath. We are in Diluc's mansion because you suddenly collapsed when we wanted to leave. You have strong fever and need to rest now.'

'An-d Ro..sa?'

'Right beside you. Strangely, it appears that it is doing not so well too. It has no fever or something like that, but its capability to float coordinated decreased noticeably.', the master of the house answers.

'And Paimon is downstairs planning the fastest route to Liyue since we have to catch up the time we loose waiting for you to get better.', your travel companion continues.

'Like I already told you: You can continue your way to Liyue without having to worry about them. I will take care of them until they feel better and arrange somebody helping them to get to Liyue then.'

'And like I already said: This won't happen as I would never leave my friend alone, even if I miss out the ceremony. Your generosity to provide us a place to stay together with food and water is already more than enough. You don't have to feel the need to take care of (Y/N) by yourself.', Aether replies with a slightly irritated tone.

If your mind wasn't so muddled you would feel the tension in the air. In fact both males were having such exchanges for quite some time now, hence the reason why Paimon is planning the route by herself - after some time their bickering gets unbearable.

Diluc sighs and turns away from you for a moment to take a glass container with water from a table. (I genuinely don't know how these things are called. They have the form of an oil lamp or a small teapot and are used to give sick people water (in the past at least). If you know what I mean and know how these things are called, please tell me.)

Aether sees this and interrupts. 'Master Diluc, I think they would be more comfortable if I help them. It would be more helpful if you get a new compress. This one is too warm already.'

'Alright.' Diluc glares one last time at the three of you and leaves then the room.

'Haa, I thought he would never leave again... I didn't know that somebody could be so persistent to be caring towards somebody they have seen only two times.'

The blonde takes the glass container and empties it over a nearby plant. 'The fact that you collapsed in front of the house of someone who wasn't worried at all about the event that happened, even though he seems to care quite alot about you sounds a bit too convenient to me. I wouldn't be surprised if he is the cause for your poor condition, so you won't drink or eat anything he offers for now.'

Out of his backpack he takes a small bottle of water and pours its content into the glass container. 'This is safe to drink for sure, here.'

He lets some of the water flow into your mouth, rehydrating you.

'Th-ank y..ou.'

Aether smiles. 'No need to thank me. Travel companions do have to look after another after all.'

There may be something else forcing him to stay at your side, but since Aether can't pinpoint this feeling, he doesn't pay it attention.

Yawning the traveler tries to support himself with his arms on your bed and dozes off on the edge of it because of your pleasant warmth.

A few minutes later Diluc enters the room cautiously and immediately sighs. 'Looks like someone hasn't slept for quite a while now. Why did he had to fall asleep here out of all places? Well, at least it is more quiet for now.'

The red-haired male changes your compress with a fresher one.

'What am I supposed to do now...'

I hope you enjoyed reading and stay healthy!