60. Happy demise

The night in the palace of Romanos was silent, devoid of any celebration noises as the guests had moved to Jakov's home. Even though it was the wedding night of festivity, cadaverous silence curled the majestic walls of the palace.

Gracefully, she moved in through the entrance; the guards parting their ways in a deep bow. Her amulets clanked in a chime against her wrists as she passed them, a gentle smile on her face.

Once inside, she laughed softly, a mix of seduction and innocence as she stood in the celebration hall. She was glad to know the guards recognised her, even though they had never seen her.

Even though they were fiercely loyal to...

"Julian," she uttered his name, her breathing instantly shallower. As if she was tasting him on her lips.

Her kohl swiped grey eyes drifted over to the throne at the far end of the hall. Sitting in the centre in all its magnificence.

But it wasn't splendid enough for her. Not when he wasn't seated there. She closed her eyes, placing a hand over her throat.

She imagined sitting next to his feet while he ruled his kingdom. His strong muscular hand occasionally moving down the nape of her neck.

Lips wet, she shivered at the vile thought, a soft laugh pouring out of her lips. For her, it was a misery that he wasn't interested in slaves. So much that he had prohibited slavery from Romanos when other kings still favoured it.

Her longing for being close to him, even if it meant to be his slave, was hopeless. Still, she couldn't help thinking about it when he was madness, seduction and strength all wrapped in one man.

Her elaborate skirt swept on the carpeted ground as she made her way up for the floors, being all too familiar with the turns and corridors.

After all, she'd lived here. Long before the ruler of Romanos had even stepped foot in Egypt.

The woman, with an exotic beauty that matched only one person except her, reached the fifth floor of the royals. The guards parted ways as if they knew her since forever.

As if she and her family weren't banished by the king of Romanos ever.

At the beginning of the hallway was a large semicircular window where sat a girl, laughing jovially. A boy, no older than her, was seated across, occasionally playing with her hair. A constant night breeze blew by, ruffling up their hair.

She smiled, having seen that girl before. All splattered in blood during the marketplace massacre of Romanos, caught in the crossfire of Alexander's army and the nobles who ruled Romanos when the sweet law of having slaves still existed.

"Thalia." she smiled sweetly as the girl turned to her with a warm smile. She playfully pushed the boy away.

"You're back from the bridegroom's house?" she asked excitedly. "Even Althea is back!"

Her senses perked up. That was a foreign name to her. Resisting the urge to ask who the woman named Althea was, she asked otherwise.

"Hmm, she returned? I thought she was quite close to the bride and would stay at the celebration..." she murmured. But it seemed like nature itself was mirroring her emotion. So toxic, it didn't even compare to jealousy, as an icy night breeze blew by, shivering up Thalia for a moment.

Goosebumps rose on her arms as she rubbed them to go. The boy instantly removed his linen mantle to cover her; both of them blushing innocently at each other.

She cleared her throat, finding that childish love pathetic. Real love was what she'd seen in his eyes. Years ago at the Aphrodite Festival of Aphrodisia in Greece. When she had just helped the other women to purify Aphrodite's temple, he had come to her, asking about the ceremonies. Together they had chatted for so long, and with every movement of his eyes, his sly smiles and occasional jokes made her fall into a deep trench that was love.