Chapter 2

-Emiko POV-

"Coach" said Tetsuya to Riko when we went into her classroom. She spat out her drink, making me laugh. "Can we have an official club member form?"
"He wants to play in a game" I said.

"Fine, but I'll only accept your forms on Monday at 8:40 on the roof" she said and gave us the forms.
"Why is that?" I asked.
"You'll see" she smirked.

~

On Monday we went to the rooftop.
"I hate these skirts" I said and held my skirt down. "Why can't the girl uniform have pants too?"
"You're already wearing long stockings under them" said Kagami. "What are you complaining about?"

"Thanks for reminding me, Kagami" I said and I kicked him.
Riko was laughing.
"I've been waiting for you" she said.

Of all the first years, a few had left. But the three from the mini-game had stayed.
"Are you stupid?" asked Kagami.
"Is this a duel?" asked Tetsuya.

"I forgot all about it, but on Mondays..." said Kagami. "The morning assembly is in five minutes!"
He angrily took out his membership form. "Hurry up and take it"
"Before that, I have something to tell you" she said. "I made a promise when the captain asked me to be his coach last year. I promised to focus solely on pushing the team towards the national championship. If you don't think you're ready for that, there are other clubs better suited to you"

"What? Of course I'm..." began Kagami.
"I know you're strong" interrupted Riko. "But I need to know you have something even more important. No matter how hard you practice, 'someday' and 'maybe' aren't good enough. I need to know you have ambitious goals and the will to accomplish them. Give me your year, class, and name. Announce your goals here and now. If you fail to achieve them, you'll come back up here, strip naked an confess your feelings for the girl you love. Or boy, in Maeda's case"

"Heh?!" freaked the other first years.
"All the second years did it last year" she said.
"What? No one told me about this" said Furihata.

"I heard about it when they recruited me" said Fukuda.
"But I didn't think they'd actually..." said Kawahara.
"Like I said before" said Riko. "I'm looking for something concrete and reasonably ambitious. You'll have to do better than 'play my first game' or 'do my best'"

"This'll be easy" said Kagami and stepped forward. "This isn't even a test"
He jumped up the railing...
"Are you nuts?!" I yelled.

"Class 1-B, number 5, Taiga Kagami!" he yelled. "I will defeat the Generation of Miracles and become the best player in Japan!"
"Who's next?" asked Riko. "If you don't hurry up, the teachers will get here"

"Excuse me" said Furihata. "Could I say I want a girlfriend?"
"Nope" said Riko.
"Really?" I said.

"What else do you have?" asked Riko.
"I-I've got one" said Kawahara and walked forward. "Class 1-A, Koichi Kawahara, from Chuo Ward, Tokyo!"
He began to tell his life story until Riko kicked him away from the edge.

"Next!" she yelled.
"Um, I want a girlfriend" tried Furihata again.
"I said no already!" yelled Riko.

"Class 1-D, Hiroshi Fukuda!" yelled Fukuda. "I like helping others, so when I heard an upperclassman asking for help, I immediately offered my assistance!"
"Class 1-D, Koki Furihata!" yelled Furihata. "The girl I like said she'd go out with me if I became the best at something! I joined the basketball team to become number one!"

'That's just sad'
"If that's not good enough, I don't mind if I can't join the team" he said to Riko.
"I guess I'm moved" she said.

"My turn" I sighed and walked forward. "Class 1-B, Emiko Maeda! I like being a manager and making sure people are in good physical health! I want to help the basketball team perform at their best and help them win the championship!"
"Nice, Maeda" smiled Riko. "Who's next?"