Chapter 5

-Tetsuya Kuroko POV-

"It's been a while since we last talked like this" said Kise while we walked to a playground. "How's your injury?"
"I'm fine" I said. "Although Emiko worries too much sometimes"

"Maedacchi is gonna kill me, isn't she?" he said and sat down on a bench.
"Probably" I said.
"Since when do you two call each other by your first names?" he asked. "I thought only Akashicchi could call her Emi"

"Since I left the club as well" I said.
"Really?" he said. "By the way, I saw Midorimacchi"
"Honestly, I don't get along with him very well" I said.

"Now that you mention it, you're right" he laughed. "That left hand of his is no joke though. Especially on good days for Cancers"
"Yes" I said.

"Seems like he just came to watch today's game" said Kise. "Anyway... first you turned me down and then I lost today's game. Everything's going wrong with my life right now. I didn't expect the two of you to say yes, but I was serious"

He was balancing dangerously on the bench.
"You'll fall over" I said. "Sorry"
"I'm kidding" he said and stood back on the ground. "Anyway, I wanted to ask you for your reason. I can guess Maedacchi's reason for disappearing. But, why did you disappear right after the middle school championship game?"

-Emiko POV-

Kagami and I searched for Tetsuya together.
"Geez, his phone must be off again" I sighed when I tried calling him again.
We saw a group of guys do street basketball and Kagami's eyes light up.

"I bet you saw this a lot in America" I said.
"Yeah" he said. "I didn't know this was also a thing in Japan"
I saw Tetsuya and Kise on the other side of the playground.

"There he is" I said and we walked closer.
But Kagami held me back so we could listen.
"I'm not sure" I heard Tetsuya say.

"What?" said Kise.
"It's true I began to question Teiko's policies because of the championship game" said Tetsuya. "I felt we lacked something"

"Sports are all about winning" said Kise. "What could be more important?"
"I thought the same thing until recently" said Tetsuya. "So, I still don't know exactly what's wrong with it, but... all I know is I hated basketball at that time. The feel of the ball. The squeak of basketball shoes. The swish of the net. I started playing because I loved the game. That's why I was so impressed when I met Kagami-kun. He loves basketball from the bottom of his heart. He seems to have been through rough times, but he still takes basketball more seriously than anyone else"

"I don't get it" said Kise. "I can say one thing though. If you think so highly of Kagami because of his attitude towards basketball, someday the two of you will part ways. The biggest difference between me and the other four isn't our physical abilities. They all have a special ability not even I can imitate. I realized during today's game that he's still learning. Just like the Generation of Miracles, he has an unique ability. For now he's still an immature challenger. He's enjoying the thrill of recklessly playing strong opponents. However, someday he will achieve the level of the Generation of Miracles and grow apart from his team. When he does, do you really believe Kagami won't be a different person?"

I looked at Kagami who just sighed and ran to hit Tetsuya.
"You bastard, why'd you disappear like that?" he said and I walked closer as well.
"Kise" I said angrily.

"Maedacchi" he was scared. "I'm sorry"
I stretched my arms and he became pale.
"Did you even apologise to Tetsuya for hurting him?" I asked and he nodded. "Good"

"Hey" said Kagami.
"Were the two of you listening?" asked Kise.
"We sure as hell were" said Kagami. "What the hell are you kidnapping Kuroko for?"