Chapter 6

-Emiko POV-

"Captain! I got copies of the preliminary tournament bracket!" yelled Kawahara when we were practicing.
"The Inter High preliminaries start as a tournament" explained Hyuga. "If we lose, we're out. We can't let our guard down for a single game. Tokyo has blocks A through D. The winner of each block goes on to play in the championship league. The top three teams from the championship league qualify for the Inter-High. Only three schools chosen out of 300 participating schools. Only the chosen 1% will stand on the court of their dreams. That's the Inter-High"

"I sort of get the picture" said Kagami. "But you're wrong about one thing. They're not chosen. They win it... sir"
Everyone smiled.

"We've got three weeks until the Inter-High preliminaries" said Hyuga. "We fell one step short last year, but we'll definitely go this year. We'll be facing a lot of strong schools, but our biggest and strongest opponent is Shutoku High. Last year they were in the nation's top eight. On top of that, just like Kaijo, they had one of the Generation of Miracles join their team. If we can't beat them, we won't make it to the Nationals"

"If we play against the Generation of Miracles, it'll be in the championship game" said Kagami. "Kuroko, you know who he is, don't you?"
"I doubt you would believe me even if I told you" said Tetsuya. "However, as Kise-kun said, the other four are on another level. If they've gotten even better, I cannot imagine how good they are"

"Don't make me think about it" I said and it sent shivers down my spine.
"Before we can play Shutoku, we have to play our first game!" said Hyuga. "Let's make sure we're on the ball!"
"Yeah!" they all shouted.

"By the way, where's the coach?" asked Tsuchida.
"She went to observe our first opponent's practice game" I said.
"I'm back" said Riko.

"Speak of the devil" said Hyuga.
"She was skipping after the Kaijo game, but she's not skipping today" said Kawahara.
"Coach, are you gonna skip today?" asked Furihata.

"Like hell I will!" shouted Riko in anger.
"Morons" said Hyuga. "She wouldn't act like an idiot over an official game. But you do seem unhappy. Are they good?"

"We shouldn't be worrying about Shutoku when our first match isn't looking good" she said.
"What do you mean?" I asked.
"One of their players might give us some trouble" she said. "You can watch the video later. Take a look at this picture"

She gave Hyuga her phone, and it was a picture of a very cute cat.
Even Tetsuya found it very cute...
"I-it's cute, but..." said Hyuga.
"Sorry, it's the next one" she said and Hyuga showed us the next picture.

It was an exchange student who looked huge...
"His name's Papa Mbaye Siki" said Riko. "He's two meters tall and weighs 87 kilograms. He's an exchange student from Senegal"
"Senegal? He's huge. Two meters?" said Hyuga.

"Can they do this?" asked Koganei.
"An exchange student... sorry, but where's Senegal?" asked Izuki.
"He's just big" said Kagami.

"This Papa Mbaye... what was it?" asked Hyuga.
"Papanpa?" asked Tsuchida.
"It's Papa Try-Hard" said Koganei.

"Papa... papaya Ito" said Izuki.
"We're not getting anywhere" said Riko. "Kuroko-kun, give him a nickname"
"How about 'Dad' then?" asked Tetsuya.

"Where's your naming sense?" asked Koganei.
"Dad" said Izuki. "Dad's company is a dud"
Everyone laughed, but Riko was not amused.

"For this Dad, we'll have to..." she began. "Hey, listen! He's not just tall. His arms and legs are long too. Everything about him is big"
"More and more schools are recruiting exchange students to increase their strength" I said.