Chapter 18

-Emiko POV-

Aomine was so flustered, he missed a pass and Kise took it.
Kise passed the other guys from Touou easily.
But Aomine caught up and slammed the ball away before Kise could dunk.

'He's not backing down... even with four fouls...'
I felt Tetsuya's grip on my hand tighten...

It was unbelievable, seeing Kise and Aomine play...
The final quarter began...
None of the teams changed their line-up.

Aomine and Kise went at it almost immeadiatly.
When Aomine scored, Kise scored the same way.
It went on like that for a while...

The gap didn't get any bigger, but also didn't get any smaller...
It was a battle between the aces, but then...
"Idiot" I said. "I told him to watch out"

I saw Kise hurt his ankle... he overdid it again...
"This must be though" said Riko.
"I'm exhausted" said Koganei.
"Not you!" said Riko. "I've never seen such static flow in a game before. The players on the blocks must really be wearing down mentally"

"It's especially tough on Kaijo" said Hyuga. "They've been stuck at eight to ten points behind forever, but even with the clock ticking, they still haven't given up"
"They won't give up" I said and looked at Kasamatsu. "Not until the end"

The annoying mushroom missed a pass and Kise grabbed the ball.
"The balance is broken!" said Hyuga.
"This is Kaijo's chance!" said Izuki.

"One minute left" said Kiyoshi. "This is where the game will be decided. If they make this shot, they'll only be two threes behind. It'll boost the team's morale. If they miss, they'll have reached their time limit. In other words, practically speaking... it's their last chance!"

I held onto Tetsuya's hand tight.
Aomine versus Kise...
I felt Tetsuya tighten up.

I thought Kise was going to win, he was going to pass to Kasamatsu. But... Aomine saw through it... he smashed the ball away...
Kaijo lost their chance...

In the end... Kaijo didn't give up, but they lost...
Kise couldn't stand anymore, so Kasamatsu had to carry him.
I looked at Kasamatsu, he was holding himself strong for his team. But... I knew he was hurt by their loss...

"We can't keep brooding forever!" said Riko. "Let's go home and start practicing right away!"
"What? We're leaving?" asked Kagami. "Aren't there more members of the Generation of Miracles playing in this tournament?"

"I wish we could watch until the end!" said Riko.
"We can find a hotel and..." began Kagami.
"A hotel huh?" said Hyuga. "Hey, Kagami. Where do you have the money for that? Are you a rich kid? Are you actually some rich kid? You did say you live by yourself! Besides, if we extend our trip too much, the coach's dad will kill us!"
"I'll catch up with you guys later" I said and ran to the Kaijo locker room.

I ran trough the hallways down the stairs.
When I arrived at the locker room, I heard someone cry.
I opened the door and found Kasamatsu on his knees against the lockers.

He saw me and quickly dried his tears.
"Maeda?" he said and I smiled.
"Emiko" I said and his eyes widened.

I walked to him and sat down next to him on my knees.
"With the way you played today" I said and touched his shoulder. "You can call me Emiko"
He hugged me and I patted his back.
I felt the tears in my neck and I let him cry for a few minutes.

"Hey" I said and he looked me in the eyes. "Get yourself together"
"Heh?" he said and I smiled.
"If you stay in this slump state" I said and smirked. "Beating your asses will be a piece of cake this winter"

He got the fire back in his eyes and smiled.
"You're right" he said and I stood up.
"So, get your act together" I said. "We won't go easy on you guys just because you're not in the mood"

"Right back at you" he said and I waved him goodbye. "Wait!"
"What is it?" I asked.
"Yukio" he said and I frowned. "You can call me Yukio"

"Right" I smiled. "See you later, Yukio"
"See you later, Emiko" he said and I left the room.

I walked back to the front, but when I passed a hallway, I thought I sensed someone familiar...
I quickly pushed the thought down and walked on. Until... I saw the members of the Rakuzan team.

One of them saw me and stared at me. I looked at them as I passed them.
"Emi!" I heard Tetsuya and I looked away.
"I'm coming!" I shouted and ran to him.

-Akashi Seijuro POV-

I had seen her, she was running towards the Kaijo locker room.
"So, get your act together" I heard her say. "We won't go easy on you guys just because you're not in the mood"
"Right back at you" I heard the captain of Kaijo say.

'She hasn't changed at all'
I walked back and I saw her once more, passing in the hallway.
When she was walking on, I looked at her from the back.

'Her hair is shorter'
"Hey, Sei-chan" said Reo. "Wasn't that the girl from that picture you always carry with you? The one who was supposed to be our manager? She's even cuter in person"

"You will not lay a hand on her" I threatened.
"I won't, relax" he said. "What was her name again? Emi?"
I glared at him.

"You do not get to call her that" I said. "I'm the only one who has the right to call her Emi"
"Heh" said Kotaro. "I thought I heard someone call her Emi"
I frowned. "Who?"
"Don't know" he said. "I can't remember what he looked like... was there even someone there?"
'Tetsuya'

-Emiko POV-

"Are you okay?" asked Tetsuya.
"I saw some members of the Rakuzan team" I said. "But, Sei... Akashi wasn't with them"
We walked to an open basketball field and I sat down next to Nigo.

Tetsuya took his basketball. "Will you be okay when we see him?"
"Not sure" I said. "Honestly, I don't know how I'll react when I see him again. The last time I saw him, dad almost killed him when he asked me to go to Rakuzan with him"

I looked at him and smiled.
"But, I'm happy I didn't go to Rakuzan" I said and he smiled. "I'm happy, at Seirin, with you... and the others"
"Me too" he said and began practicing.

He missed the hoop when he shot.
"You still suck at everything besides passing" Kagami joined us.
"How did you know we were here?" asked Tetsuya.

"I thought watching the game might have gotten your blood pumping" said Kagami.
"I am heated up" said Tetsuya, making me snort.
"If you're heated up, I'm practically boiling" said Kagami.

"Their play has the power to do that to people" said Tetsuya and grabbed the ball. "It's always been that way"
"Hey" said Kagami. "What are the rest of the Generation of Miracles like?"

"We only know what they were like in middle school" said Tetsuya. "Kise-kun, Midorima-kun and Aomine-kun have all made significant improvements. I'm sure the other two have done the same. Murisakibara-kun"

He looked at me and I looked at my feet.
"And Akashi" I said.
"Murisakibara... Akashi..." said Kagami.

"Not even I can imagine what they are like now" said Tetsuya.
Kagami ran towards the hoop and Tetsuya smiled.
He passed to Kagami, who dunked it easily.

"I'll crush them all" said Kagami. "Let's show them. Our... no, my and your basketball"
"Yes" smiled Tetsuya.
"This winter will be war!" said Kagami.
I smiled, I was happy...

-End of season 1