Chapter 49

Yeji can't believe her eyes.

Ryujin is there, in flesh, standing just a short distance away, smiling at her.

The woman has indeed lost some weight. Her jawline is more distinct, her already tiny waist looks tinier and her hair has grown much longer. But the smile and those gentle loving eyes haven't changed a bit.

"You okay?" Ryujin asks as she takes a step forward.

Yeji hasn't been able to move or say anything since she laid eyes on Ryujin.

"Sorry I didn't notify you. I wasn't sure I was doing the right thing until the last minute. It's spring break, you see, so I thought..." Ryujin pauses, observing Yeji. "Is it okay for me to be here? Yeddeong? Please say something?"

Yeji finally blinks. "H-huh? Oh. S-sure. Um..." For a moment, she doesn't know what to do with herself. A part of her wants to run and hug Ryujin but another part of her is screaming to control herself because that woman needs to pay for what she has done.

Besides, she's only here for spring break. She's not going to stay for long, says Yeji's logic.

She can barely hear it though because her heart is beating out of her chest and it is winning the ongoing inner struggle.

Ryujin gingerly steps out onto the cold foyer to approach the immobile Yeji. "Yeddeong?" she reaches out to carefully hold Yeji's hand.

The moment their skin touch, both of them feel a tiny jolt, a spark that they haven't felt in a long time.

Yeji nearly retracts her hand by reflex but Ryujin has grabbed hold of it firmly.

"I guess it's been too long, huh?" Ryujin says. "Even our bodies have forgotten each other."

"And whose fault is that?" retorts Yeji.

Ryujin smiles sadly. "Mine. All mine."

Yeji looks down at the hand holding hers, staring at it in awe. It still feels surreal to have Ryujin there again.

"I've missed you."

She lifts her head at the sound of Ryujin's voice.

"You look even more beautiful than I remembered. No painting can do you justice," Ryujin says as she observes Yeji from top to toe.

Ryujin starts to walk inside the apartment, pulling Yeji by the hand. She has noticed how
Yeji's fingers remain tensely unbent as the woman refrains from reciprocating her gesture.

Yeji clumsily takes off her shoes and slowly, awkwardly, follows Ryujin inside. Her hand wants to wrap itself around Ryujin's but she stops it because she's still unsure what to make of this sudden visit.

"Have a seat," Ryujin says as she gestures at the couch and releases Yeji's hand.

Yeji does as she's told, taking off her jacket in the process.

"You said we needed to talk so that's why I'm here," Ryujin begins her explanation. "I know that I've hurt you and I'm very sorry for that. I'm sorry for making you travel to so many countries to look for me only to let me go once you found me. I'm sorry for leaving you alone. I'm sorry for not being there for you like I once said I would."

"But you're not coming back, are you?" Yeji asks, her voice devoid of any emotion.

Ryujin slowly shakes her head. "Not yet. I will, one day. But like I said, I wanted to finish my studies and get a job. As for you," she reaches out to hold Yeji's hand again, grasping it between her two hands. "You can do whatever you want. You can choose to despise me for what I did. You don't have to wait for me. I won't mind. I deserve it."