Forty-eight

Sleep was one of my most peaceful escapes for the longest amount of time

Sleep was one of my most peaceful escapes for the longest amount of time. There is no pain, no sadness, just the internals of your thoughts coming together.

Until I met him. His touch is the only escape that I want and need now.

I should've already woken up by now, but with the feeling of his fingertips running over my body, I didn't want it to stop.

But the smell of coffee eloped through my nose, which quickly, unforgivably woke me up. And with that, I let my eyes open, taking in the sunlight that was spread throughout the room.

"Happy birthday beautiful," I heard his voice whisper as he pulled me closer to him.

His touch was warm against my skin, his arms wrapped around my waist pulling me onto his chest. Best way to wake up in the morning.

"Thank you," I mumbled, kissing his cheek.

"What do you wanna do today?" He questioned, sitting up against the headboard, picking up the coffee from his side table.

I looked around the room for Lily, "Where's Lily?"

"Axel took her for the day, I just wanted it to be us," He whispered while watching me.

I could care less about the coffee, being with him and taking in the warmth of his skin was all I was worried about, yet I still sat up and accepted the coffee.

I didn't know what I wanted to do, but I wanted it all to be with him.

Birthdays weren't something I ever celebrated, when my mom died, birthdays seemed so unpractical, she was always the one to throw the biggest parties. Yet, my aunt, she tried, and trying was what matter. And when she died, the birthdays stopped altogether, except for the little things that Megan did for me.

Trevor's hell house was just an ugly dream in which every day was spent, including those of 3 birthdays.

"Anything special you want to do?" He questioned again.

"Spend the whole day with you, is perfect. But I have something I need to do before." I confessed.

"Alright love, I'll come with you," he suggested.

"No, East. Just stay here, I won't be long, less than an hour or two." I smiled, pecking his lips before sliding off his lap. He made no fuss, just watched as I got ready.

"Are you sure Lyla?" He questioned, as I threw a shirt over my head.

"East, I do it every year on my birthday, I can't just not. And when I come back, the rest of my day will be spent with you." I spoke softly walking over to him, as he sat in the bed.

I brought my hands up cupping his face, "I love you, but I need to do this alone."

He took one of my hands kissing it gently, "I love you."