61 Birthday Boy

It's a rainy Thursday morning.

Lucas is already at the restaurant, but I'm a lazy bum in bed, enjoying the pitter-patter on my window.

When my phone rings, I'm ready to tell him to come cuddle, but it's not him. "What's up, Shush?"

"Hey, Layla! It's Lev." A deep voice startles me from the other end and I panic.

"Is Shush okay? What's wrong?"

"I'm right here!" Her excited voice jumps in, telling me I'm on a speaker as Lev speaks. "We need your help. It's Lucas's birthday today—"

"What?!" I scowl. "It is? Why didn't he tell me?"

"I don't know, maybe because you're both busy," he says. "I don't think he's even thought about it. His dad used to make a big deal out of birthdays."

"Okay..." I feel so guilty now! I haven't called or texted him. I don't even have a gift!

"Anyway, that's why we're throwing a surprise party tonight. We need you to kick him out of the restaurant for like twenty minutes to set up."

"How the fuck am I supposed to throw him out of his own restaurant?" Are they dumb?

Lev hands the phone to Shush. "Layla, girl... use your power of femininity. Seduce him, throw him in the supply room and—" Lev yells that he doesn't want to hear those details and she laughs. "You get what I'm talking about."

Yeah, except I can't lie to him about that. Not after he told me he doesn't want to push me until I'm ready.

"He's crazy about you." Shush says, sensing my hesitation. "He'll do anything if he knows it'll make you happy. Trust me."

"Alright..." I groan, sitting up. "What's the plan?"

The plan is for them to come at 6 and 'set up.' When I ask who's 'them,' they don't specify, which is just great.

I tell Lucas that I have a last minute client call and that I'll be late, then go to the mall to find him a last minute gift. My anxiety is bubbling and I'm growing furious with Shushan.

After ten, twenty or fifty stores, I land in a dim boutique that oozes of masculinity and find a gift for him that is also for me. It's enough to make me excited about tonight.

I pack an outfit with heels, do my usual hair and makeup, then put on black sweats with a hoodie before heading to the restaurant.

"You look comfy." Lucas smiles when I walk in and scoops me in his arms, lifting my feet off the ground. He squeezes the death out of me before putting me down.

"You look... " I trail off, distracted by his long sleeve, white shirt that outlines his muscles. "Too hot. You look too hot. Go change."

He chuckles and puts me in a headlock, ruffling my hair. I grunt, pushing my butt out to escape, but he starts to tickle me.

"I'll kick you in the balls!" I scream and he lets go, gives me a naughty smirk, and with mega-speed, flies his hand to tickle then jerks it back.

"I'm on my period." I lie, crossing my arms. "So be nice to me."

"Aw... come here." He cups my face and pulls me close, kissing my forehead. "Pussy."

I punch him in the stomach and he laughs.

"How's your day going?" I try be nonchalant as he walks me to my usual table.

"Good." He stares as I pull out my laptop to set up. "Every day with you is a good day."