Twenty seven

Maggie's feet touched the floor and she quickly looked around.

"Did we get them all?" Bruce said eagerly.

Bruce, Nebula, Scott, Tony, Steve, Thor, Rocket, Clint and Natasha.

"Are you telling me this'll actually work?" Rhodey said. Maggie frowned when she saw who was missing.

"Mama, where's Kat?" she said.

Nobody answered. Maggie looked between Natasha and Clint, seeing how Clint's jaw tensed and Natasha looked down so nobody would see her cry.

"Where is she?" Maggie said, voice slightly louder.

"I'm sorry, Maggie," Clint said quietly. "She made the decision. A soul for a soul. We tried to do it but she wouldn't let us," he said.

"But..." Maggie trailed off as she thought of her niece, probably playing peacefully with Andreas upstairs. "But what about Valie?" she said.

"She wants her to stay with you and me, and Wanda when she gets back. She wants Wanda to show her all of the good memories when she meets Valie," Natasha said quietly.

Maggie stumbled back off the platform, tugging her uniform off.

"Magpie-" Tony tried to take her hand.

"Get off me!" Maggie cried, pulling herself out of his grasp.

"Leave her, Tony. Please," Natasha said quietly.

Maggie kicked her suit away and hurried out of the lab, jogging upstairs to get to Valie.

"Valentina?" Maggie called as she got onto the kid's floor. "Valie?!" she shouted.

"Aunt Mags?" Valie wandered out of the playroom, Andreas behind her.

"Maggie? What happened?" Andreas said, noticing the distressed look on Maggie's face. "Did someone die?" Andreas asked.

"I need to talk to you two," Maggie said, taking their hands.

Maggie led Valie and Andreas into the living room and sat them on the couch, kneeling in front of them.

"Maggie?" Andreas said.

"Guys, I need to tell you something bad and it's gonna be sad to hear, but it's gonna be okay, because we're working on making everything better," she said.

"Is it Kat?" Andreas said.

"My mama?" Valie perked up. Tears filled in Maggie's eyes and she rubbed them away quickly.

"It is Kat," Andreas whispered, tears in his own eyes.

"I'm sorry. Valie, baby, your mommy had to go away like uncle Johann and aunt Claudia did, like aunt Wanda did," Maggie said gently.

"When will she be back?" Valie asked.

"I don't think she will be back," Maggie tucked her blonde hair behind her ears, watching as her eyes filled up with tears.

"But I miss her," Valie whispered.

"I know. I miss her, too," Maggie pulled Valie onto her lap, letting her sob into her neck. She sat beside Andreas on the couch and pulled him into her side.

"Did you get them? The stones?" Andreas whispered.

"We got them," Maggie nodded.

"Can't we bring her back with them? Like we can bring my mom and dad and Wanda back?" Andreas said.

"No. That's not like this," Maggie kissed his forehead. "I wish it was. I really, really wish it was," she said.

"When my mom and dad come back, am I staying with you like Valie is?" Andreas mumbled.