Wattpad Original
There are 2 more free parts

Chapter 5....

"So you grew up in Toronto?" Wyatt asked. Ever since it came out that I knew who he was he was a lot more relaxed. He kept his baseball cap off his face and turned to look at me. I didn't blame him for being a bit iffy at first. If I was in his shoes I would have been the same way.

"I did. Well on the outskirts of the city until I moved for university."

"Oh nice where did you go for Uni?"

"Ryerson. I know pretty basic but couldn't pass up the full ride scholarship." Plus Ryerson was known for having a good journalism program. "How about you?

"I went to University of Toronto." My eyes widened a bit at that. Damn he went to a pretty great school. The school I wanted to go to if I had gotten the chance. 

"Pretty cool though--you still went to school and played hockey. That must have been hard." I itched to know more about him. More than what you learn on TV. There was something intriguing about him that made me want to ask questions about his life.

"It was tiring. Having early morning practice, then classes and then practice again. I pretty much lived at the rink." He chuckled at the memory.

"It ended up being worth it though. All those early and late practices got you where you are today." The look that crossed his face made me instantly think I crossed a line. "Sorry if I crossed a line, I didn't mean to," I quickly added. I didn't want him to shut down just because I opened my stupid mouth.

"No, you're fine." He waved me off. "Just hasn't felt that way lately." I could tell it wasn't a conversation he was keen on having. I had a feeling I knew he meant by it too. The fact that the Knights have lost their last three games was probably the reason for his mood.

"If you hadn't gone into hockey what would you have done instead?" I asked. 

Wyatt was quiet for a moment. "Truthfully?"

 I turned my body to face him, tucking my legs underneath of me. 

"I'm not sure," he said. "It's always been hockey. I grew up watching it with my dad and brothers. As soon as I could walk, I was on the ice. Going to the League was always the dream but then I got hurt." 

The look that crossed his face was one I was one I was familiar with. The feeling that everything you worked so hard for could be over in a split second.

"Things have just been a bit...off since." He seemed surprised at the words. Like he wasn't used to being so honest with someone, especially someone he just met. But being stuck in an elevator will do that.

"I get that. After an injury it's mainly a mental game."

"You sound like you have some experience with it." The way Wyatt was looking at me was like he wanted to see what was underneath, see what made me tick.

"Tore my ACL a few years back." The memories flashed across my eyes before I blinked them away.

"Damn." He stretched his own leg out, where he torn his own ACL last year. I remember everyone was freaking out seeing the star player getting injured and carted off the ice.

"It's a bitch. Took me awhile to trust my leg again. I eventually just told myself to stop being a baby and it helped." I said with a small shrug. 

"How did you do it?" He asked. 

Unconsciously, my hand drifted to my right leg and rubbed at my knee. Sometimes I swore I could still feel a phantom pain."Running." Across from me, Wyatt snorted. "Hey!" I narrowed my eyes at him. "So hard to believe I ran track?"

"No but...tore your ACL running, really?"

"Oh cause its not as badass as you Hockey boy?" I raised my eyebrows at him. Seeing the smile on his face made something in my stomach clench. I wanted to keep seeing that smile.

"Oh, definitely. You need a better story than saying you tore it running."

"Is that right?"

"Don't worry we'll come up with a better story for you," he promised. Him putting the 'we' in there made my heart beat a little faster. I just rolled my eyes while smiling.

"But I'm going to tell you a little secret that saved me," I said. Wyatt leaned forward a little bit as he waited for me to continue. "Baby aspirin and Pepper paste."

"Pepper paste?"

"Get some cayenne and mix it with either olive oil, coconut oil, or even water to make a paste and put it on your knee for thirty minutes."

Once again Wyatt stared at me like I had three heads. Skepticism was clear as day on his face.

"You're messing with me." He shook his head leaning back against the wall.

"It sounds weird, I know, but trust me. The baby aspirin is easier on your stomach than medicine they tell you to take, and for some reason helps more. And the paste does wonders, even long after the injury has healed." I knew it sounded weird using a pepper paste, but I swore by it. I couldn't tell you how it worked, but it just did.

"Pepper paste." Wyatt scoffed.

"You don't have to but couldn't hurt to try." I reasoned. "And when it works you can go on national television and tell the world that Josie Scott was right." I grinned.

"National TV?" He raised an eyebrow.

"Yep. You can even add a banner if you'd like." I nodded. Wyatt laughed.

"A banner...noted."

A/N Not gonna lie guys I wouldn't mind being stuck in an elevator with a hot hockey player....