ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 40

I STAND OUTSIDE HIS OFFICE trying to think how I could ask Vincenzo about Ashley

I STAND OUTSIDE HIS OFFICE trying to think how I could ask Vincenzo about Ashley. I wonder why she's his wife. What did make Vincenzo marry this repugnant human?

Knocking on the oak doors, I hear a quiet 'come in'. Entering my dad's office, it was no different from when I first came here. He was seated on his chair, reading some papers. He was so concentrated that didn't even look up when I entered, but I knew he knows I'm here.

"How can I help you, principessa?" he asks still looking at his papers. His voice was tired as he probably has been working for sometime now.

"Dad, I need to talk to you." I say, sitting on the chair in front of his desk. He looks up at me, questioning what I had to say.

"Go on." he encourages me.

"Why did you marry Ashley?" I ask hesitant. I don't think it was out of love, but I also don't want to be disrespectful. I see how everyone treats them, my brothers treat the both of them with respect, but you can see how they have a dislike for Brittany and Ashley in their voices.

Vincenzo is another factor, he does not show any emotion towards them. It's like he couldn't care less about the both of them. You can see in his face that he dislikes Ashley and Brittany but tries not to show, it's like he doesn't want them living under his roof, but has to let them.

"I was avoiding this question for a while now, but I think it's time for you to know why." he states, rubbing his hand up and down in his face, a clear sign of stress.

"We found out that Ashley was part of some sick plan with the Russians and someone else. She was working on my company, as receptionist, but she frequently tried to get close to me. One day I decided to ask one of our tech guys to do a background search of her, and they ended up finding out she was actually trying to get some informations. I decided that maybe if we kept her close, it would help finding out who else she was working with, but unfortunately we haven't discovered anything yet. Brittany isn't even her daughter, she's just here to help Ashley." he tells me. I'm not shocked as in the back of my head I knew their marriage couldn't be love related.