CHAPTER TWENTY-TWO

CHAPTER TWENTY-TWO.

The Little Palace felt truly alive as the night carried on. Liliya had managed to fall asleep for a few hours before waking up screaming. Aleksander hadn't seemed to have slept at all but he was as lively as he always was. He had comforted her as she cried and once she had calmed down, he'd informed her of the situation. Nothing had changed over the past few hours.

The only thing that had changed is that they were sure Alina had escaped with the group from West Ravka. The group that The Conductor had been with. Though whether she was kidnapped or left willingly was a completely different issue. Isaak was also another issue and once Liliya was awake, she had scoured every source she had for even a trace of Isaak.

But nobody had seen him since he had spoken to her. It was strange but not unexpected. Isaak always had an uncanny ability to hide. He was a snake in the long grass and nobody would see the attack coming. That's what worried Liliya the most.

Her hip pushed the door to Aleksander's office open. A tray of tea and pastries in her hands. She kicked the door closed and then crossed the room, placing it down on the clear space on his desk. She poured them both tea before she picked up her own cup.

"Oh, thank you, milaya," Aleksander said as he leant over and took his own cup. Liliya nodded and took another sip of tea. The time seemed to be dragging and considering that they would not be leaving until sundown, Liliya wasn't sure what to do. Her mind was so caught up on the fact that they would be leaving later that it felt impossible to do anything productive.

"Any news?" Liliya asked as she rested the cup against her chest. The warmth seeped through her kefta to her skin but she ignored the slight burning sensation.

"None on our Summoner," Aleksander said as he glanced over a few things. He then took another sip of tea before resting his head back. Liliya's head tilted at his words and she placed the cup back down on the tray.

"But you have other news?" Liliya asked as she tore off a piece of pastry. Once she placed it in her mouth, she began to chew waiting to see what he would say. He took another breath before he moved his gaze onto her face. He placed his own mug down and took a pastry, breaking off a section.

"I did on both Nina Zenik and Isaak," He explained. Liliya stared for a moment and gestured vaguely to try and get him to continue, "Fedyor found a lead on Miss Zenik. He will be travelling towards Fjerda with Arina-" He began but before he could continue Liliya spoke.

"Fjerda? Why is he going towards Fjerda?" She questioned quickly.

"She was captured by Fjerdan soldiers, a witch hunter, Matthias Helvar but their ship was wrecked in a storm," He explained. Liliya nodded and gave herself a moment to process the information. She picked the cup back up again and nodded again in reassurance.

"Okay. So, she will likely be fine," Liliya concluded. Nina was clever and she knew how to survive so Liliya had no doubt that she had somehow got to shore. It didn't seem likely that she'd fall prey to the dangerous waters.