chapter eleven

n// sorry for the wait lol but im BACKKKKKK!! also sorry if this chapter is especially dialogue heavy, but WE'RE GETTING TO THE MOMENT WE HAVE ALL BEEN WAITING FORRRRRRRR so enjoy baes!!!

As Anakin and Padmé walked onto the balcony of the villa in which they were staying, Padmé smiled at his expression that could be summed up with one word: awe.

"We used to come here for school retreat. We would swim to that island every day... I love the water. We used to lay out on the sand and let the sun dry us, and try to guess the names of the birds singing."

At the recollection of her childhood and the pretty picture it painted, Anakin thought upon his own. How he spent it working and just getting by; yet he was happy. Despite all of the adversary he faced, all of the hardships that no child should ever have to endure, he was happy. He had his family, and he had a dream; a dream to get them off of that planet that was covered in the very thing that Padmé used to lounge on. The thought almost made him laugh.

"I hate sand," he chuckled. "It's course, it's rough, it's irritating, and it gets everywhere. Not like here. Here, everything is soft. Smooth. Ryha and I... When we were kids, we used to dream of coming to a place like this. Where we could walk without being burned by the heat of two suns, where we could be free to come and go as we please, sleep whenever we wanted, live how we desired. This is where I am going to take her and my mother, so we can have that at last."

Padmé was quiet for a moment, pondering the differences herself. She felt guilty — she should have done more for the children when she had the chance. She should have been fighting for them harder, should have shown her face and established her rank to help them escape.  Guilt would do nothing for them now, but Anakin would.

"And that's why you became a Jedi."

"Yes. And when I'm a Master, I will bring them here. Where they belong. All I have to do is prove it to Obi-Wan and the council, first."

"They'll come around, Ani. I know they will."

At this, Anakin cracked a smile.

"All we have to do is not get killed in the process."

The task seemed easy enough for the both of them. Padmé knew that she was safe in Anakin's hands, and he knew that there were few threats in a place as open and peaceful as this. It was quick for them; falling into a routine. Padmé lived a rather quiet life. She enjoyed the simple things: reading, planning, playing with her sister's children, and spending any free moment she got surrounded in nature. It almost made Anakin forget that he was on a mission altogether.

"Have you always loved Ryha?" Padmé asked, sitting in the tall grass surrounded by the most breathtaking waterfalls Anakin had ever seen.

Truth be told, Padmé was fascinated with the two. She'd never seen such blind devotion in her life, and ever since she had began getting to know this adult version of Anakin better, she found herself wanting to know more about them. She wondered if she, herself, would ever feel something as strongly.  But somehow, she knew that what they had was one in a million.  Something that could never be replicated.

"Yeah, I guess I have," he shrugged.  "I don't really remember much before her.  She's always been there, and she'll always be here."