fourteen | work this out

Chapter Fourteen:
Work This Out

LUCY WAS MAKING sure she had everything in her possession before rehearsal later that day. Ej was sat next to her watching her as she rifled through her backpack.

"You missing something?" he asked curiously.

"I don't think so, but something feels like it's missing, and you never know. Some people around here have sticky fingers," Lucy teased him, smiling up at him. He glared down at her and rolled his eyes.

"Very funny," he replied.

"Hey," Lucy nudged his shoulder gently, "I'm just teasing, Eej. You know I didn't mean it."

Ej looked down guiltily and Lucy patted his back gently. He smiled down at her. There's the bolder in his throat again.

"Okay, guys let's just start," Natalie finally stood up. "Flip to When There Was Me and You in your script."

"Oh, should we maybe wait until Miss Jenn gets here?" Ashlyn suggested.

"Well, I don't know. Apparently nobody's in charge," Natalie shrugged.

"I vote Lucy in charge," Ej raised his hand.

"No!" Lucy cried out, looking up at Ej with her jaw dropped.

"Agreed," Ricky pointed at Ej.

"The one time you two agree on something," Lucy grumbled throwing her arms up in exasperation.

"Okay, people, let's stage a number. Sorry I'm late," Carlos chuckled.

"Is Miss Jenn coming?" Nini asked curiously.

"Miss Jenn had a small personal matter to attend to and won't be here today," Carlos informed them.

"Oh, is everything alright?" Nini continued.

"Good question," Seb agreed.

"Everything's fine," Carlos chuckled. "Why would you guys even ask that?" Lucy furrowed her eyebrows and leaned towards Ej, he leaned towards her simultaneously.

"Everything is not fine," they whispered to one another simultaneously. The looked up at each other with pointed looks then faced forward again.

"Okay, Gabriella, I need you downstage on this mark," Carlos instructed, leading Nini to her mark. Then he turned to the group and pointed. "Troy, stage right. Chad, stage left box. Uhm, other boys, find a box."

"Uh, are they on stage with me while I'm singing?" Nini asked confusedly.

"Yes, they will be frozen in various poses to come. As the ballad builds, Nini, you will be wandering through a forest of boys," Carlos explained.

"Wait," Nini chuckled, "what does that mean?"

"Do you know what a forest of trees looks like?" Carlos questioned. Nini looked at him incredulously.

"I do."

"Okay, but with boys," Carlos deadpanned.