Chapter 4: Frozen Fractals (part 2)

Jingsi nervously bit her lip as she stared at the entrance of the cave, specifically at the ledge with a small indent, waiting for an object to be placed into it

"So, vare from the first royal family." Xun said, and Jingsi could feel his judging eyes staring into the back of her head. "Are you going to put your vare in or not?"

"Give her time." Minsun hissed, giving Xun a shove. "This is a lot."

"I just hope we didn't come here for nothing." Jingsi heard Wooyoung utter. "This is basically our only chance in finding the people of Eis, right?"

"Jingsi?" She turned her head to see Jihyung standing beside her, a small smile on his face. "It's alright if you don't have one of the five vares that reveal the entrance of the cave, but you need to at least try for us to know."

I already know it's not going to work, Jingsi thought, thinking as to how her vare was going to fit in the space. The stares on her got to the best of Jingsi though, as with a long sigh, she gripped her staff before placing it on the ledge.

As she expected though, nothing happened, the group watching in silence. "See, I knew it wasn't an original vare."

"Just give it time, maybe it forgot." Jihyung suggested but Jingsi knew better.

"This is a lost cause. I'm sorry everyone." Jingsi whispered, blinking back tears as she reached out, taking her vare back.

She jumped as Xun's voice echoed through the snowy mountains, taking them all aback. "Wait!"

Jingsi felt nervous, the girl always walking on eggshells around the male. Even though he and Jihyung seemed to have a good relationship, Xun intimidated her, and she didn't know if she could trust him.

"Jingsi should try again, right hyung?" Jihyung said, grabbing onto Jingsi's arm.

"It didn't work." Jingsi mumbled but Xun seemed to be thinking of something else anyways.

"Jihyung, you try." Xun instructed. "Use your vare to try to open the cave."

"My vare?" Jihyung looked at Xun in confusion. "Why? I'm not a royal."

"But your mother was." Wooyoung exclaimed, the realization hitting him. "You have royal Eis blood in you."

"But I found this thing in the forest." Jihyung said, slowly taking his brooch off. "I highly doubt that it belongs to an original Eis royal."

"Well we don't know until we try." Xun said, patting Jihyung on the shoulder.

Jihyung gave his vare one more look before reluctantly placing his vare on the ledge. "Hyung, I really don't think this is going to work."

Xun didn't need to say anything as Jingsi and the others stared in awe, the entrance of the cave opening up for them.

...

Hua noticed the disappointment on Jingsi's face as they continued walking through the cave

Hua noticed the disappointment on Jingsi's face as they continued walking through the cave. Their echo of their footsteps only signaled that there was no one else around, making it clear that the people of Eis weren't there.

"Should we just give up?" Jingsi said, finally speaking. "There's not a single soul in here aside from the rest of us."

"Let's look a bit more." Jihyung suggested, grabbing Jingsi's arm. "Maybe we'll find something."

Wait.

Hua wasn't sure if the others felt it but she knew that Wooyoung had noticed her hesitancy, stopping. "Hua, is everything alright?"

Hua didn't answer as the others turned towards her, moving in the direction of one of the cave walls.

As she ran her hand along the ice, her warmth melted it just enough for her to feel the cold metal of the item lodged in it.

"I think I found Eis's key."

...

"You should sleep."

Minsun opened her eyes to see Xun getting settled in the sleeping bag beside her. They had found the spare shelter of Jingsi's family, not far from where the key was.

"I'm trying to." Minsun replied, placing her hands behind her head. "I was doing great until you came in."

"You're lying." Xun said, yawning before adjusting his position, closing his eyes. "But if it makes you feel better, I'll wake you up if you have a nightmare."

Minsun didn't know why but as she watched Xun quickly fall asleep from their exhaustion, she felt a bit better.

Enough for her to fall asleep that night.

...

Where am I?

It wasn't like her usual dreams as Minsun looked around. She was in a dark empty room, not another person in sight.

"Minsun, you found all the keys."

Minsun turned around to see Grace there, wearing a long black dress, her dark hair framing her face. The older girl gave her a smile as she stepped forward, shortening the distance between her and Minsun.

I can finally see her as myself, no longer living as her.

Minsun couldn't be more thankful, unable to forget the horrors the nightmares had given her. Before she could say anything though, Grace spoke first, making Minsun's smile fade.

"Now, bring the eight keys to the door, where you will meet me before it's too late."

———————————————————————————Short chapter but

Short chapter but.... More tmr :D