Chapter 36 - Do You Want to Build a Snowman?

"This is Square Village, ahh..." Wei Wuxian gawked.

There were many children, parents, and teenagers who roamed the streets. They all wore their winter attires, and laughed cheerfully as they played with the snow.

"It's very peaceful." Shen Qingqiu analyzed. "It doesn't look like there's any phenomenal activity here."

The cat in Xie Lian's arms had let out a soft meow. It nuzzled in the crooks of Xie Lian's arms, clearly trying to seek for warmth. Meanwhile, the gaze that Hua Cheng used to look at the cat had increasingly darkened. Yet, the cat remained unscathed to the deadly aura roaming around.

"I wonder why there's a wild cat here." Luo Binghe was curious. His instincts were similar to a dog, which made him incredibly fond of cats.

The black and white cat shot a disdained look at him. It slapped its tail across Luo Binghe's face.

The latter cupped his cheek, which was slapped. Luo Binghe turned to complain to Shen Qingqiu, "Shizun! That... that cat just hurt me!"

Shen Qingqiu fondled his lover's face. "It's okay... it's okay... there's no bruise. You'll be okay..."

Luo Binghe could only reluctantly lower his head.

"...let's enter?" Wei Wuxian suggested.

The remaining three couples nodded to agree. They then all entered and bypassed the gates of Square Town. There were guards who patrolled the sidelines, trying to keep all villagers safe and sound. As Shen Qingqiu stepped a foot inside, he noticed how they were attracting a lot of attention.

"...Mom." A little boy pulled on his mother's dress, "Why are they wearing so little? Aren't they cold?"

The mother looked at him with a sweet smile. "Don't think too much."

She pulled her son away, "Now come on. Tell Mother what you want to buy. Mother will try to buy all the candy you want."

The son was glad. "Yay! Mom is the best!"

The pair of mother and son had walked away, leaving the three couples stumped. What were they supposed to say? Oh, we're cultivators who've come to visit your village because we are trying to exorcise some ghosts, demons, and slay demonic cultivators... even though we have a demonic cultivator on our side... what? That's not logical?

No, of course it is logical! What are you talking about?

"We can ask around." Xie Lian suggested. "See if there's any phenomenal activity that matches the rumours..."

"Gege is right." Hua Cheng always listened to his lover.

Wei Wuxian, Lan Zhan, Shen Qingqiu, and Luo Binghe agreed. There were several stall owners, each trying to sell their products.

"I have candles perfect for house lighting! A package of ten are only 25 yuan!"

"I have candles too! Its fragrance is so soothing, it can shut the mouths of any loud teary-eyed kid! Especially that kid from last night, whose child did he belong to!?! I swear... if I hear his cries again tonight, I'll personally host an investigation to sue the parents!"

"Oi! Don't even try to sue me because of my child!"

"Huh!?! That was your child!?! Here here, take these candles and get out of here!"

"Don't diss my child! My candles are more than enough to soothe him to sleep!"

"No wonder that your child keeps on crying at night! It's all because of your GODDAMN candles, ain't it?"