Flower Symbolism Time With Author-chan!

For Enji & Rei - Autumn Bellflower (Rindou/Gentiana Scabra):

Meaning in Japanese culture: Victory, accuracy, justice, loving someone who is full of sorrow, lonely love, chastity, loveliness, intrinsic worth & I love you best when you are sad.

Enji was a prideful and ambitious man driven by his goal to surpass the No. 1 Hero, All Might. This obsessive drive had followed Enji throughout his entire life, with repeated failure that has plagued him since his youth.

Dedicated to his studies and hero work, Enji strived to become the absolute strongest Pro Hero in the country, but the figure of All Might already proved itself too much of an insurmountable obstacle for him or anyone else to overcome which left Enji in a growing state of despair as he became more and more aware that closing the gap between him and the Symbol of Peace was futile.

As a result, Enji turned into a cold, callous person who didn't care for anything but his impossible dream.

Enji had always been aware of his own limitations, but due to his stubbornness, he never once thought about relinquishing his wish, wanting to accomplish it at any cost, and even passing on his aspirations to another person if necessary.

As a way to balance the downsides of his quirk, something he always found cumbersome, Enji sought to have a child with an ice quirk user, in order to create someone that could inherit his will.

This way, Enji would not only have his quirk be inherited but also his training and experiences, by a "perfect" successor.

And that's how he met his wife, Rei Himura, and married her after negotiating with her family to a 'Quirk Marriage' in order to get his hands on her ice quirk. He attempted to conceive and raise a child strong enough to usurp All Might.

Despite being an arranged marriage, Enji really had feelings for Rei and so the first few years went well. When he was 22 years old, their first son Touya was born with a fire Quirk that was even more powerful than Enji's Hellflame quirk. Despite not inheriting his mother's ice Quirk to overcome the downside of overheating, he still planned on raising Touya to be a hero.

Enji still sought a child who would inherit the quirks of fire and ice and Rei also wanted more children, believing they could encourage each other, which ultimately led to Fuyumi's birth. Sadly, she only inherited Rei's ice quirk, but Enji was still happy either way because he felt that since Touya had more potential, he could place all his ambitions on him.

However, his plans were cut short when he discovered that Touya inherited the weak constitution of his mother Rei, which made him vulnerable to heat and therefore limited the use of his Fire quirk, causing burns on his skin if he overused it. No longer wanting to train him and being unable to make Touya himself quit, Enji decided to have more children hoping Touya would finally give up on his ambition to become a Hero, which ultimately led to the birth of his third child Natsuo and eventually Shoto.

Enji eventually found his "masterpiece" in his fourth child, Shoto, pushing aside and ignoring the rest of his children who he deemed as failures. This rejection especially affected his firstborn, Touya, who was secretly training to regain his father's affection.

Enji told him to stop because he is hurting himself, and advised him to look beyond the world of being a hero and do things like play with his siblings or make friends at school. But a crying Touya replied he can't, after all, he was the one who lit the fire in him to surpass All Might, teaching him to never give up. When the rest of the family came to see what was happening, Touya tells his father to look at him as he charged with his flames activated at his mother carrying an infant Shoto. He was stopped before he could hurt anyone, but after Touya's outburst, Enji decided to ban the other siblings from interacting with Shoto, so he can focus on his training and entrusted Rei to look after Touya.