Chapter 4. The Argument.

Chapter 4.

The Argument.

Two weeks had passed since Father had come up with the strange idea of sending the children to live with Tristan and Elaine. He never brought the topic up again and Lynwood was convinced nothing was wrong and he had just let his imagination get the better of him. He kept his guard up just in case. After all, Father had said something about it being safer at Tristan's home. He carried his knife on his belt at all times and if he had to go anywhere took his bow and arrows with him.

Sofia couldn't help thinking Lynwood's actions strange, but she concluded Lynwood had simply taken his daydreams to the next level. This only added to her fixed opinion that her brother daydreamed far too much.

On oone particularly cloudy day the children when had finished eating lunch and were clearing the dishes Sofia asked her brother, "How come you didn't want to go and live with Tristan and Elaine?"

"Because I'm not fond of the idea of being stuck in the village for a whole week," Lynwood replied.

"I thought you liked Tristan and his wife."

"I do, but that doesn't mean I want to live with them. Living in the town would be death to me. I would get homesick for my dear mountain and for my beautiful meadow and for the large blue sky."

"The sky is just the same in the town," Sofia pointed out.

"Not really, all those roof tops make it look smaller."

Sofia shrugged, not understanding her brother's logic. She loved it in the town; there were other children to play with and plenty of things to keep her occupied.

"I really wish dragons had not gone extinct," she suddenly stated after a few moment of silence.

"What is it with you and dragons? You keep bring them up."

"I do not keep bringing them up! I just dreamed about one a few nights ago. It actually wasn't the most pleasant of dreams; the dragon was big and black and had red eyes. He was chasing me and I woke up with a scream. It took Father a lot of time to calm me down."

"And after a dream like that you still go on wishing dragons hadn't gone extinct?"

"It is just I was thinking I could tame one and then I could ride it whenever I wanted."

"You can't tame dragons, Sofia."

"You could if you go one that was only a baby."

"In order to get a dragon baby you would have to find a dragon's nest and try to get past the mother, who will be protecting her young. And even if you did manage to get a dragon when it is a baby, you would not be able to tame it. Dragons are born with certain instincts and eating any living creature that is smaller that it is one of them."

"But if it is a baby then I would be bigger."

"Yes, but one day it will grow up and see you as dinner."

"Would it really do that?"

"Of course, like I said, dragons are traitors to their very core. They live to steal and to betray. It's just the way they are, and that is why they were hunted and killed and that is why they aren't around anymore. You should be glad for all the brave men who destroyed them and made this place safe to live."

"How do you know so much about dragons?"

"I read about them. I can lend you my books if you want, only you must give them back to me when you are done."

"Why would I want to read your books, they are so boring"

"They aren't boring."

"They are for me, I don't like such books."

"The only books you like are the ones filled with romance and love, like all girls."

"How dare you say that? I hate books about romance."

"Oh really, then what sort of books do you read?"

"I read books about our woods, and the animals that live in them. I don't care for your silly stack of books filled with legends and tales of men who did stupid things. I wouldn't be surprised, Lyn, if all those farfetched stories are really just a figment of someone's imagination."

"For the hundredth time, Sofia, DON'T call me Lyn!" Lynwood lost his temper. "Why do you have such a bad memory?"

"I have a very good memory, thank you!" Sofia snapped.

"No, you don't."

"Yes, I do."

"Do not! If you did then you would remember how I HATE being called Lyn."

"Oh I remember. I just did it this time to annoy you."

"So you did it on purpose?"

"Yes I did. You want to know something else? I think those books are really bad for you. They just fill your head with foolishness and make you lose touch with reality. Wake up from your endless daydreams and grow up."

"Grow up? I will remind you Sofia that I am three years older than you."

"From the way you are behaving anyone would think you are three years younger."

"This coming from the girl who spends most of her days in the fields, picking flowers while I stay here and do the dirty work."

"YOU do all the dirty work? Tell me, who cooks most the meals?"

"And you might tell me who cleans the hen house and shed; who waters the garden and picks out the weeds? If you are so big on growing up than why don't you grow up and share in the responsibilities? I already am stuck here most of the time babysitting you."

"Babysitting!" Sofia burst out. "So that is what you think you are doing, babysitting me? For you information, Lynwood, I am not a BABY!"

"Okay fine, I apologize; you are not a baby, just a little girl."

"Little? I am ten years old."

"I know how old you are."

"Then stop calling me a little girl."

"But that is what you are, Sofia; a spoiled little brat!"

"Oh!" Sofia threw down the table rag and put her hands on her hips. "Lynwood, you have got to be the worse, most horrible boy I have ever met. And to think I live with you!"

"And you have got to be the most annoying girl I have ever seen."

"Fine, since you think me so annoying, you will be pleased to know I am leaving right now to pick black berries and shan't return till dinner. This means you can enjoy my absence for a nice long time. Oh, you might want to cook supper as well, since I won't be back in time to make it. Instead of cluttering you head with silly books, why don't you follow my example and do something useful with your life? Goodbye."

So saying Sofia grabbed her basket and marched out the door before Lynwood even had time to respond. His face flushed red and he kicked a chair as hard as he could; knocking it over.

"For goodness sake, Lyn," Sofia poked her head through the door, "don't wreck the house, what would Father say?"

With that she took off as fast as her legs could carry her, knowing Lynwood would vent his wrath on her in no small quantity if she didn't get away quick enough. Sofia felt very proud of herself for having been able to outwit Lynwood this once.

It was all Lynwood could do from keeping himself from running after Sofia and strangling her, but he knew better. Sofia had just run off and left him with all the work, again. Wasn't that just like her? To think she had the nerve to lecture him about responsibility and growing up. It took a while for Lynwood to pull himself together. Once he calmed down he went upstairs and flinging himself on his bed, took out one of his books and buried his head into it, getting lost in a mythical world of magic and sorcerers, brave knights and of course, dragons.