3.

Sixth Year  - 1976

Sixth Year  - 1976

CORDELIA GRUMPILY SIPPED HER PUMPKIN JUICE AS SHE STARED AT THE SLYTHERIN TABLE. She felt someone sit down beside her, but her eye did not move from the the sea of green and silver. Lily sat down in front of Cordelia, obstructing her view with a disapproving look.

"Can the two of you stop looking over there like you're trying to kill them with you eyes?" Lily sighed.

"That's what the bludger's for," Sirius and Cordelia responded shortly and in perfect unison. An exasperated look was thrown their way by Lily. Marlene and James, both members of the Gryffindor team, smiled cheekily at the pair of beaters.

"That's the spirit!" James cheered.

"Alice, your friends scare me," Frank murmured quietly. Mary snorted and gave him a smug look.

"Treat our little Alice well, and you'll never have to be on the receiving end of Cordelia's killer swing," Mary chirped sweetly.

Cordelia, who was still watching today's opponents around Lily's fat head with Sirius, raised her goblet towards Mary in agreement. She saw the rest of them nodding out of the corner of her eye. Frank had gone slightly green at the thought of a feral Cordelia beating him to a pulp.

-

Sirius and Cordelia stood side by side with their faces set hard across from the Slytherin quidditch team on the pitch. Madam Hooch stood between the two teams holding a coin. They mounted their brooms as the captains shook hands, and Cordelia gave her beater's bat a strong twirl as a sinister smile painted itself onto her face.

When James encouraged her to tryout for the team in second year, Cordelia was worried she wouldn't be any good. Imagine everyone's surprise when she showed up to tryout for one of the open beater positions. The petite girl earned the position after her first swing. Over the years, it became her favorite outlet for stress. Anytime she was upset, she'd slip down to the pitch and smack bludgers around under her arms ached.

"Ouch, folks! There's a bludger sent by Cordelia McKinnon hitting its mark. One of the finest beaters we've seen in ages, that one."

"Hear that, Padfoot?" Cordelia snickered as she flew past him.

"Yes, one of the finest. Obviously I'm the other."

Cordelia let her laughter ring out over the pitch while she kept Marlene from being knocked off her broom with a powerful swing of the iron bat in her hands. The match grew close with no sign of the snitch, and Cordelia grew more aggressive with every passing minute.