08

NAMKYU HOPPED ONTO onto the stool Jimin had set by the counter, shuffling in closer with a grin as he got small bits of flour on his long sleeves

"Hyung," the eight-year-old chirped, watching the older man whiz around the kitchen to place away his utensils before joining him at the bench, "We're doing fractions."

Jimin groaned, "Fractions? Oh, God."

"I'm starting to think that you're not as good at math as you let on," the boy raised an eyebrow, and he chuckled, ruffling his hair.

"Slow down there, firefly," he leaned in closer, "These are easy; I can do these."

"That's assuring," he giggled, "Namjoon hyung was a lot less confident in your ability."

"Excuse me?" Jimin gasped, feigning hurt as he held a hand over his heart, "So much for being my best friend."

"In all fairness," Namkyu shrugged, "my brother can't add numbers even if his life depended on it."

"Yeah," he joined in as they laughed, "that huge brain of his is good for everything but math."

The boy sighed again, frowning at his book, "Mr Hassan didn't teach us this properly; I don't know how to turn this into a six."

Raising an eyebrow, Jimin took a seat beside him, "Mr Hassan didn't teach you guys this?"

"Well, not properly," he exhaled an exasperated breath, "I remember him saying something about multiplying both numbers before Zahra asked me what my favourite colour was."

"What impeccable memory you have there," Jimin narrowed his eyes at him, "What's this about Zahra? Who's Zahra?"

"My friend!" Namkyu chimed again, a huge beam breaking out on his face as he did so. Jimin's own smile got infected then as he envisioned his best friend in his brother. The dimple popping from his cheek and the adorable button nose were his favourite family trait. "She's so cool. She loves plants, and animals, and reading, and writing—"

"Just like you!"

"Just like me!" he nodded enthusiastically, "And she's so funny and so kind. She loves to talk about her parents and her grandmother. They seem super cool too. Her favourite colour is silver, but she loves lavender flowers, it's so funny."

Raising an eyebrow, Jimin tilted his head at the kid, wondering what exactly was so funny about the situation. But he couldn't help chuckle at his words, wondering if the little boy had a crush on this Zahra instead.

"That's wonderful, firefly," the man pinched his nose, "but you know what would be helpful? Listening in class."

"Hyung, I try," he whined, "but it's so much more fun to play with Zahra," suddenly, his eyes lit up a thousand shades brighter as if he'd just remembered something, "Last time, we played ultimate tic-tac-toe, and I won!"