treinta y dos.

The only sound in the room was Malcolm's fake train choo-chooing around the house.

Sylvia, Luca, and Valerie were silent, they all exchanged somber looks with each other.

Valerie had no idea what to say or do.

"Luca... I... I'm so sorry." Sylvia offered, walking towards him and trying to hug him. Luca tried his best to return the sentiment to the emotional red head, but you could tell he was uncomfortable.

Valerie didn't move from her spot on the couch.

She helped the fall of one of New York's longest enterprises.

Wiping at her nose even though it wasn't running, Valerie couldn't bring herself to look at Luca. If she did, she'd cry and right now she was not the one who should be. His father was going to have his head.

"We should leave." Luca announced and Valerie didn't protest, she grabbed her purse and began to walk to the door. Sylvia squeezed her hand as she passed her. "You call me if you need anything."

Valerie's brow furrowed at that, "Aren't you still Michael's girlfriend? I don't understand. Aren't you afraid?"

Sylvia gave her a sad smile, cupping Valerie's cheek for a second as Luca went out of the door.

"Baby, I was only his to make sure you stayed alive. Once he found out I had a son, he fired me from his service. There is no me and him." She revealed, and that was some good news for Valerie's day.

Pulling her into a hug, Valerie squeezed Sylvia all she could without hurting her. She owed this woman her life ten times over. Sylvia returned the hug doubly, sniffling a bit herself.

"You guys can get through this. Luca is a brilliant man. He won't stay down for long." Sylvia pressed, holding both of Valerie's hands. Valerie looked out the front door and saw Luca already in the car. His head downward, she knew he was on his phone.

She could only imagine the news headlines coming about right now.

"I hope you're right." Valerie told her, bringing her face back Sylvia's. She hugged her one more time before leaving and going to the car with Luca. When she got in the passenger seat, she didn't even dare to look at him. She didn't know what emotion to expect from him and honestly she was afraid.

Jumping in surprise when she felt his hand reach for her thigh, Valerie's head whipped towards him. His eyes were radiantly golden in the sunset of evening, he was so beautiful in the light. "A-are you okay?" Valerie worked up the courage to ask.

He closed his eyes and took a deep breath before opening them again. There was a deep sadness in them she could tell he was fighting to keep hidden. Her lips pursed as she ached to comfort him, but in a time like this she knew words were just not enough.

"We will see." Was his simple answer and it caught Valerie very off guard.

Luca started the car and drove off from Sylvia's house.

He was not a man to leave things up to chance. He... he was Luca Giovanni. He made the decisions. He called the shots and called everyone's bluff. He was not a "we will see" type of man.

Where was the man who had blackballed her to read a stupid marriage contract or the man who stripped her down to nothing trying to humble her?

Luca Giovanni is cutthroat.

Luca Giovanni was cutthroat.

As Valerie scrolled through the hundreds upon thousands of new news headlines from the market closing. Each and every one had at least one excerpt on the Giovanni Stock Massacre if it wasn't on the front page already.