sixty two: cupidus

cupidus: eager, desirous, covetous

———

ELARA had never found it so difficult to keep her hands off someone before.

Granted, she hadn't ever been as obsessed with someone as she was with Draco—at least not for the past four years—but even then, it was getting kind of ridiculous.

They'd spent the entire night next to each other, her head resting on his chest as they slept and she'd spent a good portion of her morning watching him as he made his coffee in the kitchen, talked to Demetrius, corrected August's wand action for a certain spell. She nearly slipped off the stool where she was drinking her caramel latte when he smiled at something Demetrius said to him.

She'd very reluctantly left the sitting room to pick herbs with Neville—not for any reason except that watching Draco enraptured her. But she soon found herself being immersed in conversation with Neville where he was explaining the amazing abilities of the Wiggentree.

"It can really do that?" she asked as she bent to snag off a few more nettle leaves. "Ward against Dark Creatures?"

"Yeah." He nodded, enthusiastically. "It's an ancient rowan—"

Elara's eyes were drawn upwards as a crunch of leaves caught her attention. There, descending the hill towards them, was none other than Draco.

Immediately, her breath hitched and when the corner of his lips tilted upwards, her heart skipped beats. Neville was still talking—but it was like someone had severed the cord between her brain and her ears because although she was hearing him, she wasn't really registering what he was saying.

Draco passed by her and raised his eyebrows at the nettle leaf lying in her hand. "Your skin's turning red."

"What?" she asked, dazed. He looked so handsome, so pretty. He was so pretty.

Neville promptly turned away to examine a plant that seemed to catch his utmost attention.

"Your hand, darling," Draco said with a knowing smirk, reaching down to pluck the nettle leaf from her hand and drop it into the basket. "Hold it for too long and it'll give you a rash."

She knew that. Of course, she knew that. And sure enough, her skin was beginning to burn even after the leaf had been removed. "Oh."

Draco chuckled and in one smooth motion, cast a Cooling Charm over her hand. "Slacking on the job, Jacobs? I expected better from you."

"I often forget to take care of myself when I have a mother hen looking after me," she purred back, snatching up the basket and twisting away from the hand he lifted to pinch her hip.

His laughter rang in her ears long after he'd Apparated away—and all she could think about was how much she wanted him back already.

On their return to the safehouse, Elara and Neville found Val sitting on the porch swing, rocking back on forth on her heels. She looked like she hadn't slept, dark circles beneath her usually bright green eyes, her pink hair braided in the usual crown across her head.