Chapter ThirtyFive

Everyone is already sat at the dining room table when we enter. I feel my cheeks heat as I look at the floor once our joined hands grab their attention. Sage takes no notice of it, leading us to the end of the table and pulling out my seat before sitting in his own.

The chair on the other side of Sage is pulled out, the legs drag across the floor, breaking the quiet atmosphere, and multiple people cringe at the noise.

"Hi" Axel says as he takes the seat besides Sage, a massive smile on his face. His eyes light up as Sage gives him nothing but a grunt in greeting, his face equivalent to meeting a famous person.

"Hi, Axel" I smile at him when his eyes switch past Sage and towards me.

"Hi" the childlike smile remains on his face before he starts digging into his kids meal consisting of a burger and fries.

The maids bring out the rest of the meals; stir-fry is placed in front of me as I thank the young maid.

Serge sits at the head of the table, opposite us. Everybody waits for him to take the first bite before starting their own meals.

Sage's hand grips my thigh under the table while he eats with the other hand. I catch Axel eyeing his hand in what seems to be confusion from the corner of my eye. I attempt to hide my smile with a mouthful but Sage catches it and gives a squeeze to my thigh.

"Isn't he meant to be watchin' Tom?" Ryder questions from Sage's right, his eyes are focused directly behind me and I know better than to turn around and stare.

Serge looks from Ryder to behind me "I asked him to stand there" is all Serge says before continuing to eat.

Sage's fork clanks loudly on his plate when he sees who it is.

"Tell him to stand somewhere else" Sage looks towards Serge, his tone irritated, not liking having his back to someone.

Serge chews his mouthful and then nods his head towards my left. From the way Sage is reacting I expect to see Stephan but I am surprised to see it's Hunter.

I guess Ivy isn't the only one that isn't a fan of his.

"We're low on resource's" Serge says. Sage blows out a breath beside me, running a hand through his hair and giving it a shake.

"Already?" Gunner asks.

Serge nods "we used a lot of it last night with the fire. We need to have back up in case High Class comes back". Everybody has finished their food by now and put their cutlery down while one of the maids takes Axel away.

"I can go, my leg is good now" Gunner volunteers. Ivy throws him a look but he pays her no mind as he looks towards Sage.

"I think all four of you should go" Serge says, hands clasped in front of him "you'll be able to bring back more".

Sage scoffs "yeah, we're more likely to be caught too" he says while shaking his head. He clearly doesn't want to go but he'd never let the other guys go without him.

"You don't have to go, Rage" Gabe says, elbows resting on the table and hands clasped underneath his chin "Gunner can lead us".

"No" is all Sage says from beside me, his tone pissed off.

"Alright well, you'll leave at eleven tonight, be ready" Serge ends the conversation as he gets up from the table and heads back to his office.

*

Once again I'm confined to Sage's bedroom for the sake of my own safety. Sage takes a seat on the bed, his back against the headboard.

It's only mid-afternoon but the bags under his eyes give away how truly tired he is.