LXXVIII. CHRISTMAS OF '78

CHRISTMAS OF '78!

DECEMBER 1978

• • • •

A soft smile resided on Holland's face as she walked around Lux Manor on Christmas day.

Contrary to their usual festive activities, the Lux family had decided to have a more intimate Christmas celebration, trading the over the top, extravagant ball for a family dinner and a quiet evening by the fire.

Her smile spread into a grin once she entered her childhood bedroom and saw her husband sitting on her bed, seeming deep in thought.

"Hey." The girl smiled at the younger boy, making him look up her.

"Hey." He muttered, looking back down and playing with his fingers.

"What's wrong?" Holland asked, sitting down next tot he boy, putting a comforting hand on his shoulder.

Regulus looked down at the mark on his left arm, Holland following his gaze, before gently running fingers over it.

"I shouldn't have done it." He said with tears in his eyes.

"Reg-"

"I made a huge mistake."

"Reg, what happened?" The older girl asked.

"You should see the way he treats them," Regulus sobbed, "The things he did to Kreacher."

"Oh, Reggie." Holland sighed, soothingly rubbing his back.

"I don't want anyone else I love to get hurt." Regulus cried into his hands, as Holland pulled the broken boy into a comforting hug as sobs racked his body.

***

The Lux family sat around the living room, the fire crackling in the corner as everyone exchanged gifts.

Oberon chuckled as he opened the present from his daughter.

"I thought you and mum could use the practice." Holland told the man as he looked down at the Monopoly game in his hand, causing the rest of their family to laugh.

"Right, if that's everyone done, then we know what time it is." Jeremiah grinned, as everyone got comfortable on the sofas, Holland smiling as Regulus wrapped an arm around her shoulders and she cuddled into his side.

"What did you pick this year?" Holland asked her grandfather with a grin.

"Well, my dear Holland, since we have some newcomers joining us tonight," The man gestured to Larissa, Oberon, Elara, Theadore and Regulus, "I thought we'd go for a muggle classic," Jeremiah smirked, holding up a large, old, dusty book, "The Night Before Christmas."

Holland leaned into Regulus, "Get ready."

"For what?"

"The most dramatic rendition of The Night Before Christmas that you will ever witness."

"Can't wait."

"'Twas the night before Christmas, when all through the house, not a creature was stirring, not even a mouse.'"

***

"'He was dressed all in fur, from his head to his foot, and his clothes were all tarnished with ashes and soot. A bundle of Toys he had flung on his back, and he looked like a peddler, just opening his pack-'"

A knock on the door echoed through the large house.

Larissa's eyebrows furrowed in confusion, "Were we expecting someone."

Oberon shrugged, "Not that I'm aware of."

Holland stood up, unwrapping herself from her husband, "I'll go see who it is."

"Don't be too long." Jeremiah told his granddaughter, holding the book up and giving it a tap, making the girl smile in amusement.

Going into the entryway of the house, the girl let out a soft sigh, putting her hand on her four-month-old baby bump that was beginning to show and opening the heavy oak door of the house.

"Maggie?"

The blonde girl sniffled, "Hi."

"W-What are you doing here? Why are you crying?" Holland asked, "Here. come in, it's freezing outside."

Margaret followed the Irish girl into the entryway, "Thanks."

Holland brought the sobbing girl into a warm, comforting hug, "What happened?" She asked in a soft voice.

"I, uh," Margaret muttered, wiping away the fallen tears, only for them to be replaced with more, "I'm pregnant."

Holland stared at her in shock, "Hugo's?"

"Yeah." The younger girl nodded.

"Are the two of you going to-?"

"The wedding is going to be next month," The blonde nodded, "I know it's Christmas and you're probably wanting to spend time with your family, but I just needed someone to talk to and you're my best friend."

"Maggie," Holland calmed the panicking girl, putting a comforting hand on her shoulder, "I'm here for you. And I always will be."