I 28 I

☂ I thought we had something ☂ 

Five's POV

The long drive feels strenuous and tense. 

I hear Luther give a long sigh from the back seat, and Y/n turns around. 

'You good there, gorilla man?' She smirks, keeping her hands on the wheel. 

'Don't ever call me that again,' Luther grumbles. 'I can't believe you made me ride in the back like a child.' He scoffs. 

'Well, you do act like one,' Y/n gives me a look. 

I must look fairly depressed, because she frowns. 'What?'

'You know, I never enjoyed it.' I say quietly. 

'What?' Luther asks. 

'The killing.' I continue. 'I mean, I was... I was good at my work, and I...I took pride in it. But it never gave me pleasure.' 

'Not like Dolores did,' Y/n sings. 

'Y/n,' I sigh. 'You have just about as much maturity as a three year old.' 

'Sorry,' She laughs. 'Please..go on.' 

I roll my eyes. 

'I think it was all those years alone. Solitude can do funny things to the mind.' I say. 

'Yeah, well, you were gone for such a long time.' Luther murmurs. 'I only spent four years on the moon, but that was more than enough. It's the being alone that breaks you.' Luther holds up the fake briefcase. 'You think they'll buy it?' 

'Well, what I do know is that they're desperate.' I say. 'It's like a cop losing his gun. If the Commission finds out, they'll be in deep shit. Oh, not to mention the fact that they'll be stuck here until they get it back.'

'Well, I should hold onto it.' Luther offers. 

'Hm?' I say. 

'In case they make a move on you.' He says. 

'Okay, Luther, but be careful. I mean, I've...I've lived a long life, but...you're still a young man.' I say genuinely. 'You got your whole life ahead of you. Don't waste it.' 

Y/n grins at me. 'Maybe I should-' 

'Don't even think about it.' 

The sound of a car in front of us makes me forget the way Y/n casually risks her life all the time. 

'Here we go.' I mutter. 'If this all goes sideways, do me a favor and tell Dolores I'm sorry.' 

'I will not be telling that mannequin she-devil anything,' Y/n says calmly. 

I ignore this, stepping out of the car. Luther follows me, still holding the brief case.

'The masks really necessary?' 

'So where is it, kid?'

'Wow, that's how you're gonna start. You know, we can get right back in our car and call it a day.' I say. 

'You won't even make it halfway there.' Cha Cha holds up her gun. 

Y/n decides to step out of the car at this moment, carefully showcasing her glowing hands. 

'Really?' 

'I'm sure you found out in your previous foray, my brother is not your average giant.' I continue. 

'He's right.' Hazel says. 'You dropped a chandelier on him, got right back up.

'By the time you took him out, he'd smash your precious briefcase to a pulp.'

'Probably us too, right?' Hazel says lightly. 'So, how do we help each other?'

'I need you to get in contact with your superior so I can have a chat with her. Face-to-face.' I say. 

'About what?' Cha Cha asks. 

'Well, I don't believe that's any of your concern.'

'Just don't tell her about the briefcase.' She says. 

'Fair enough.'

The two assassins walk away and we watch as Cha Cha dials a number on a payphone. 

'What happens now?' Luther asks. 

'Now we wait.' I answer. 

Just as the words leave my mouth, the sound of an Ice Cream Truck distracts me. 

'Is that her?' Luther turns to me. 

It's not. 

'Oh, it's Klaus,' Y/n remarks, waving at him. He waves back enthusiastically. 

'What the hell is he doing here?' Five mutters. 

'It's a setup!' Cha Cha yells. 

Guns fire and I frantically glance around to find Y/n. I spot her in half a second just as time slows down and stops. Hazel and Cha Cha are frozen in mid air, both their guns pointing at Y/n and Luther. The briefcase is hanging precariously from one of Luther's hands. 

'Neat trick, isn't it?' The Handler's voice says from behind me. 'Hello, Five. You look good, all things considered.'

'It's good to see you again.' I say half sarcastically.

'Feels like we met just yesterday.' She smiles, though it doesn't reach her eyes. 'Course, you were a little bit older then. Congratulations on the age regression, by the way. Very clever.' The Handler drawls. 'Threw us all off the scent.'

'Ah, well, I wish I could take credit. I just miscalculated the time dilation projections, and...Well, you know. Here I am.' I raise my arms, letting them fall limply to my sides. 

'You realize your efforts are futile.' She says. 'So why don't you tell me what you really want?'

'I want you to put a stop to it.' I say firmly. 

The Handler chuckles. 'You realize what you're asking for is next to impossible, even for me. What's meant to be is meant to be.' She sighs. 'That's our raison d'être.'

'Yeah? Well how about survival as a raison?' I offer, pointing the gun at her head. 

The Handler narrows her eyes, walking around me. I keep the gun pointed straight at her as she makes her way over to Y/n. A thoughtful yet cruel expression appears on her face as she stares at the frozen girl. She looks quite wild in action; hair flying around her face and a steely determination I've only ever seen in myself. 

'This one's yours, isn't she?' 

The way her voice wistfully rose, makes me glare. 

'She's not 'mine,'' I scoff, staring at her. 

'Oh Five,' a careless expression appears on the Handler's face. 'Don't forget that I know you. I know every little thing that makes you tick.' She walks around Y/n, examining her on all sides. 'Pretty girl, isn't she?' 

'Get away from her,' I say coldly. 

The Handler sighs. 'To think, we had something once.' 

____