epilogue

When she came into my office, doe eyed and hot blooded, I knew my life would be changed forever.

In those moments, with her hair only an extension of the fire burning within her, curls framing all the beauty that she was, she ignited something in me I thought my father beat out of me long before. She ignited the fire in me.

And it burned brightly, only for her.

For years, I had no one to hold me accountable. My father was a reckless and hot blooded man with a cold soul. I used to admire him for that. He was strong, he was ruthless, and he was unfuckingstoppable.

He raised my brother and I to be the same.

My brother was weak.

Produced from a loveless marriage, he was filled with black where his heart was supposed to be.

I am far from a perfect man.

My mother tried to save me, boarding school after boarding school, but I inherited my father's unbreakable spirit. When he recruited me to be his heir, I jumped at the chance to move with him. However, with the move came responsibility and if I didn't perform well—

I didn't eat.

I didn't sleep.

I couldn't survive.

Women frequented his house often, married or not. Many of them not much older than me at the time I was there in my late teens.

Except, Margaret.

She was twenty four when I was seventeen, but she made me a man.

I don't think I looked at a woman more than five minutes without casting her aside after that.

The one girlfriend I did have was in name only. Caroline was a sweet girl, but she had her problems and I had mine. I had no time for such... emotion. It was weak. It was repulsive.

I learned women were possessions. An asset to me. Whiny, fussy, creatures that without proper control— they'd ruin your life. My father had more than two wives, the others he'd crushed in their divorce trials.

I would not have that for myself.

So when he brought that godforsaken proposal to me— that I could not assume the company he'd been training me all my life for, beating me all my life for— it felt like he'd finally landed a punch that could knock me out.

I wanted no wife I couldn't control. A contract and a dollar amount would alleviate that.

There were women I offered it to before, however they could never do what was asked of them. They would whine, they would cry. They would beg me to tell them what was wrong with them, why wasn't I falling in love with them? Weren't they enough? Didn't I want them forever?

No.

But then, I ran into Valerie.

Well, she ran into me.

I was never upset over my suit, but God did the woman look good on her knees.

She was breath taking, even while she was groveling, which honestly I didn't mind. I would've taken her right there. But she ran and I kicked myself for letting her get in that cab.

But just as I told her, I truly believed God delivered her back to me or some twisted stroke of luck, because when I walked into my office and saw those same tendrils of fire that I fell in love with her so quickly, for the first time I felt my heart skip a beat.