Chapter 6, 'The absolute dafty,'

18th April 1919, Newburn, Newcastle.

Ada had entered Libby's room and when she did it was deadly silent. Libby was packing the small number of dresses so owned into a box along with three books and a small jewellery boxes that Ada immediately recognised, I mean how couldn't she remember it she had to pick it at a market fifteen years ago as a gift for Tommy to give to Maddie when he asked her to be his girlfriend. The memory made Ada's eyes cloud over and a sad smile creep on her face.

"What?" Libby asked Ada, she sounded upset and like she didn't want to leave.

"Nothing, I just remember when I picked that Jewellery box for Tommy to give to your mother," Ada explained sadly.

Libby just hummed in acknowledgement, not really wanting to get into the delicate topic that was her mother. She loved the woman, how could she not? It was still the person who gave her life even if she didn't stick around to watch her grow up.

"Do you need any help?" Ada asked to break the awkward silence.

"Erm, you could get that box down from on top of the wardrobe if you don't mind," Libby replied quite shyly. This was probably the quietest Ada had seen the girl, it was quite hard to believe that the girl in front of her was the same one that had told Sister Woodhouse to go shag Tommy and then had a fight with her.

" Yeah, of course love." Ada said as she reached up to grab the boxes and pull it down. "Where do u want it?"

"In the car I want to take it with me." Libby replied, being usually quiet.

"Okay no problem i'll take it down now but be quiet your dad is getting impatient." Ada laughed a little as she said it and Libby slightly cringed at the mention of Tommy being her father. Ada had picked the box up and left, closing the door behind her. As soon as Scarlet was sure she was out of ear shot she began to question Libby. "Okay, that wasn't like you at all. What are you planning?"

"Do you trust me?" Libby asked in return.

"Yes, of ..."

Libby cut Scarlet off. "Then do worry about it."

After a short while, Scarlet came to the realization of what Libby was thinking. "You're going to run aren't you. You're not going with them. You're gonna leave, arnt ya?"

"Well, I wasn't exactly going to follow three strangers down to Birmingham, was a?" Libby replied in an obvious tone.

"Well i didnt think you would be stupid enough to run. James is gunna go mental. He ganna gan radge." Scarlet huffed out, it was clear that she didn't agree with what Libby was thinking.

"I'll deal with james. He'll see sense, eventually. Hopefully and if he doesn't what he is gonna do. Follow me. Drag is back. Come on, it's a good idea." Libby said with enthusiasm, it was evident from her tone that Libby was trying to make scarlet agree with her and scarlet wasn't buying it. 

"No, for once I disagree with you. James looked so happy when they said yous were leaving. This is a new start and a fresh chance to have a better life. Do you know how selfish your being right now? Everyone in this place would kill to be in your position, to be able to leave and have the chances of a family that loves them. So don't waste it by thinking you know best all of the time cos you dont Lib. Look I love you, you're me best mate but god at times can u be a divv." and with that Scarlet left Libby by herself to rethink her decision.