Eighteen

2016: December, Fall Semester

Exiting the ran down house in Dallas that's used for only one purpose, Genesis is hit by the brisk winter air. He looks at the time on his watch realizing he's cutting it close. He still has to get back on the highway to Denton, so he can make it on time for class.

He situates the various bags he has that hold money in multiple places and compartments in the backseat and trunk. Once he's done he hops in the driver's side of his car. "We straight?" A dude by the name of C. Tay asks from the passenger seat.

"Yeah, I gotta drop you off 'fore I'm late to class. I gotta test today."

The 21-year-old blows out air. "I don't know why you still going to school. You probably already make more than some of your professors."

"If you think this shit is forever, you a dummy. I do this to pay for my school," Gee mumbles with a blunt between his lips as he lights it.

The discipline that football gave him was gone. He went from not drinking or smoking weed to doing both. Some might say he's spiraling out of control, while he thinks his life is exactly where he wants it to be.

Gee's in a race against the clock, everyday. He damn near makes it to Denton when right before he hits the city limits there's bumper to bumper traffic. They've been doing construction on the busiest highway to the college and students who commute don't help. With a groan, Gee taps his steering wheel feeling anxious.