xlv. luke and i are incredibly responsible adults, sometimes

chapter forty-five

─── luke and i are incredibly responsible adults, sometimes

          𝕷ife never goes my way, at all

          𝕷ife never goes my way, at all. Which is why I wasn't optimistic about tonight's excursion, and I'd told Luke as such.

"I just don't like the idea of this," Luke nodded, watching me pull on my boots. "Something's bound to go wrong."

"That's why we're there to supervise. You and I are good at our jobs." Luke was right, we were good at our jobs. The pair of us were there to supervise Annabeth and Thalia's extraction plan, with Grover as their satyr guide, of a demigod from a school. Not that I was thrilled about this.

You see, Annabeth and I got along. We had moved past the whole her having a crush on someone who saw her as a little sister and was my boyfriend. It had taken a month or two, but we were now back to normal. She crashed with me at weekends, when she was at camp, and I was teaching her how to skate. She also came over to play board games with me and mom, who liked the company. That was all fine.

Thalia and my relationship, on the other hand, was dreadful. Annabeth had been right, Thalia did attempt to strike me with lightning, I was just very good at dodging. She hated the fact that, after having been in a coma for 6 years or so, she'd come out to find that the guy she liked was now dating her cousin, and also an adult.

So, the eight hour drive that we were going to have to take with me, Luke, Thalia and Annabeth, was about to cause me dreadful pain (and not just on the ADHD side of things).

"Andi, darling, you're daydreaming." Luke pointed out, tapping my head a few times. "Look, this is going to be okay. We're going to get this done, have a night chaperoning the kids, and then come back to sleep. You'll be back at college on Monday, you can submit the essay and then date night Friday. Alright?"

"Alright." I sighed, before leaning up to kiss him quickly. He grinned at that, holding on a little tighter as he kissed me once, twice, three times more. I beamed. "We do need to go and get the kids."

"Sure." Luke laughed. "Come on then." 

He wrapped his scarf around me, before grabbing our bags, leaving his apartment and stepping into the cold air of New York. Luke had graduated (read: kicked out) of camp at the end of the last summer, and had found an apartment in New York that used to belong to Hermes. He'd set up there, a mere train ride away from my mom's, and I'd inadvertently started to live with him as his place was closer to college.

We'd also found his car, which had been a good conversation to have with the police.

We left New York soon after, picking Annabeth and Thalia up on the way, which was the start of a very long and awkward drive to Bar Harbour, Maine. If I never had to do something like that again, I was going to die very happy.