Nine

2015: August, Fall Semester

Much like a birthday, the mark of another year starting in college doesn't feel like it's bringing much change. At least not yet. All Genesis knows is he's a Sophomore and it's slated to be his year if you ask his coaches.

Unlike last year when he was redshirting, Gee actually feels like he's apart of the football team. It was hard not to considering he only got ten days of rest; at the beginning of summer and the end. He put a lot of work in, but this time it'll actually pay off on the field.

Seeing the 5 minutes away text he stretches and gets up from the full size bed in his dorm. He looks around the room that's already cluttered because he's been moved in since June. The walls are covered in posters and pictures of his family and friends back home who he feels like he hasn't seen in forever. He also has his countless trophies, medals, and jerseys from football throughout the years around the room.

Gee became extremely close with Colby and that's his nigga, but he's not sharing a room with him again. He needs his privacy, so he got a room by himself.

Finding his room key on his desk covered in leftover crap from his summer classes, he grabs it. Gee doesn't know how he survived taking two summer classes in both June and July. They were Monday through Friday for two hours and the six weeks zoomed by with barely any time to retain the information. All that matters is he passed.

He slides his feet wearing socks into his Nike slides leaving his room. Riding the elevator down to the lobby floor of the dorm building he's met with a large crowd of students checking in for move-in day. He maneuvers through the people greeting anyone he knows before heading outside. His brown skin feels like it's being torched by the Texas sun as soon as he steps out.

The building they'll be living in this year towers over him reading the address: 222 West Highland Boulevard — Legends Hall.

It's not even something that was done on purpose. With time comes experience resulting in them getting a little wiser on choosing housing. This residence hall is prime location. It's close to the campus gym, it has a shuttle bus stop right when you walk out, the student parking lot isn't so far that you have to ride the bus, and the buildings they take most of their classes in are close by. Fate and a coincidence.