Chapter 9: Path to a Good Life

The credits were transferred to my account shortly after work. It was an odd sensation, looking at my account and seeing that many credits. I had never had so much disposable income in my life, often living paycheck to paycheck struggling to survive. Yet here I was, 5,000 creds to my name, and unsure what to do with it.

Dovima suggested I spend the money on myself, that I deserved it after the hard work I put in to my contracts. I could always use a new watch, a new rifle, some sniper accessories to help with the job. Maybe she was right, and that is how I ended up back at the black market again.

It was slightly later than the last time I was here. The sun had set, at it's regular 7pm time slot. Dovima and I had already had dinner, roast chicken flavour this time. And the black market was bustling with noise and life.

I casually strolled through the alleys between stalls. Most people would feel uncomfortable in this sort of environment, but not me. Although I didn't make it a habit to come here, this was the best place for assassination equipment. Perusing the stalls, I could not help a pang of guilt growing in me. Normally I had no qualms about spending money I earnt from a kill, yet this felt.... Different. As I looked down at the sniper stall, the shop keeper eagerly showing me different scopes and silencers to improve my weapon, I felt nauseous.

I could not use the money on myself, that much I was sure of.

I found my way towards the tech stalls. The latest and greatest machines, from TVs to cars all found cramped in this small alley that smelt like cat piss. A TV stall nearby had one of the newest models. It was only a small flat circle, about the size of a fifty cent coin. However, upon turning it on it projected the screen upwards. It had the clarity of pixels, yet the lightweight form of a projector. It was a few pegs up from the hunk of junk Dovima and I had in our apartment.

"She's a beauty eh?" The shop keeper said, noticing my interest in the device. I held it in the palm of my hand. It was hard to believe this thing was worth over a thousand creds. I did not respond to the man.

"Over 250 channels, but for an extra hundred cred I'll even throw in some.... Extra content," he winked, and I could only imagine what kind of content he meant. I rose my eyes to meet his own. He was an older man, thinning grey hair, but a smile of a snake. He had been in this business his whole life, and knew the hustle well.

"And what kind of life span can I expect from it?" I asked. His face fell at this, brows furrowing in frustration.

"Life span? Life span? What kinda question is that it's a fucking TV!" He exclaimed, waving his hands in the air. I placed the TV down on his stall, and without a word walked off. With this many creds, why waste it on something designed to become obsolete? The TV I have works just fine, yet there's so much pressure to buy the newest and latest model, just for that one to become redundant in the next month.

I wanted something meaningful.

I continued to amble through, weaving my way around the haggling people. We didn't need to stress here, there was no imminent threat of the cops shutting this place down. Rumour has it, the Government even invests in the small businesses here despite their illicit nature. Good for morale, or so they say.

A small glint appeared in the corner of my eye, across the road. Through the crowd, this object stood out, almost calling to me. I quickened my pace, walking towards it. As I stared through the foggy glass pane at it, I couldn't help but marvel at it's perfection. Something small, meaningful, and hopefully should everything go according to plan, everlasting. I purchased the item and pocketed it. Just as I turned around and stood, I ran straight into Xyle. We both fell slightly backwards before adjusting ourselves.