*Dudley's birthday*

June 29th, 1991

"Ms! Ms! We have arrived!" Iris felt herself being shaken. She saw the bus conductor, Stan Shunpike in front of her face. She yawned and sat up. Looking out the window she found they were in front of 4 Privet Drive. Taking all her luggage off the bus, she walked up to her house. It was 3 in the morning on June 29th. The Hogwarts express just dropped her off at Kings Cross station yesterday, and after that, the knight bus had driven her home. After her second ear, she found the bus quite useful for when her parents forgot to drop her off or pick her up. Rummaging through her bag, she pulled out her spare key and interested it into the front door. Being extra quiet, she crept up to her bedroom and shut the door closed. 

Her room hadn't changed in 5 years. Dust was starting to collect everywhere, spiders growing their webs. But Iris just ignored them. In another 2 months, she would be back on the train to start her fifth year at Hogwarts, hopefully in the company of her younger cousin. She remembered the first time she got her letter. The time she got onto the platform. It was all exciting. It felt like just yesterday that she put on the sorting hat and was sorted into Ravenclaw. As she suspected. Percy had gotten into Gryffindor, though nothing much had changed. In their first year, things got a little competitive. They had most of their classes together, and nearly 90% of the time, both Percy and Iris had top marks. In the second year, they finally admit to each other that the other was smart, and their aggressiveness died down just a bit. They kept it like that for the next few years, although they encountered themselves competing from time to time. 

Other than Percy, she had 2 other friends in Ravenclaw. Both were boys and secretly had a crush on each other though they were too stubborn to admit it. Eric was your typical Ravenclaw. Was just as smart as Iris, though he was shyer and tended to keep quiet in class. Phelipe on the other hand was the total opposite. He was as dumb as a brick, but he was very social. Mostly among girls. He was a typical womanizer, as Iris called him. Both had their fair share in life but just couldn't see that they liked the other. 

Iris had another friend who was in Gryffindor. She was a year older than Iris but just as close. Her name was Mika, and in Iris's opinion, was a total badass. Broke literally every rule on earth, but earned pretty good grades. Iris had met her during a quidditch game, they were playing against each other, but Mika helped Iris out when she almost fell off her broom. Since then they considered each other sisters. Iris actually had a lot of Mika's stuff, since she was older than her by a year. It helped Iris so she didn't have to use Gringott's money to pay for it. Deciding to get some rest, she placed everything on the floor and passed out as soon as her head touched the pillow.

****

Iris woke up 4 hours later to the sound of her brother jumping up and down the stairs. Iris groaned at his immaturity and went down for breakfast. She grabbed the poorly wrapped package of chocolate she bought on the night bus like she did every year. She walked down the stairs and found Harry coming out of his cupboard. "Iris! You're back!" Harry said while engulfing her in a hug. Iris laughed and hugged him back. "Hey Leo, how've you been?" "Horrible' he said, which Iris giggled too. "Well, now I'm back to make things better!" They laughed their way to the kitchens, but shut up when Petunia glared at them. 

They started in the kitchens as both Vernon and Petunia assisted their son. "Go on Diddykins, open them up." Iris watched her brother open his eyes to the ginormous pile of presents. She saw him frown and ask how many there were. "36. Counted them myself." Said Vernon proudly. Dudley seemed lost at words. "36? But last year- last year I had 37!" Immediately the adults tried to figure something up. Iris sighed and walked over to her brother. "Here Duds, now it's 37." She placed the small package behind another so he wouldn't see the poor quality of it. 

"When'd you get back?" He demanded. "This morning." She said shrugging her way back to the kitchen. "Fix your hair!' called Vernon. Iris rolled her eyes. "Lovely to see you too father." She said sarcastically. Harry snorted from beside her. Iris smiled. "At least someone enjoys my presence." Harry laughed again. They ate breakfast quickly seeing Dudley tearing his presents apart. They watched boredly as Dudley unravelled a new computer, a new watch, and a new racing bike. Iris whispered quietly to Harry. "Why oh why, would my brother get a racing bike?" Harry shrugged and suppressed a smile. 

"Vernon, bad news. "Mrs. Figgs broke her leg. She can't take them." Petunias said after hanging up from a phone call. Iris put a hand to her heart. "I'm rather offended that I'm being referred to as an object!" She yelled. Petunia and Vernon didn't like the comment one bit, but Iris just sat smugly drinking her coffee. Her parents came up with different options, each of them failing. Dudley started to 'cry', complaining that he didn't want them there. When her parents had their back on them, Iris leaned over to her brother. 

"Hey, is it really bad if I'm there?" She asked seriously. Dudley looked at her like venom. "Yes, if you must know you freak." Iris felt defeated and went back to her chair, but not without 'accidentally' spilling her coffee on his new computer. Harry looked at her concerned. The blonds shrugged innocently. "What? They're just gonna buy him a new one anyway." Iris said dully. There was a knock on the door and Dudley stopped crying immediately. "Which friend is he taking this year?" She asked her cousin. "Uh, I think it's Piers, the one you don't like." Iris narrowed her eyes at him. "Harry, I don't like any of them." The boy scratched the back of his neck. "Oh! The one that is going to smeltings with Dudley." Iris nodded. "Yeah no, I do not like Piers. 

****

Iris and Harry were crammed in the back of the car with Dudley and Piers in front of them. Vernon and Petunia had no choice but to bring them along since there was nobody to take care of them. Harry seemed like he was over the moon, so Iris was happy. The zoo was crowded as usual, but the animals were amazing to watch. Iris wondered if any of them were animagi, watching over everyone. Their last stop was the reptile house, the one Iris dreaded the most.

There were tons of different species of snakes, yet Iris didn't find any one of them interesting. "Move!" Dudley yelled to the snake who was sleeping. "He's just sleeping! Leave him alone." Dudley grunted and ook his friend and parents to another snake. "Sorry about him, he can be a handful." Iris's eyes went wide. "I know, it must be annoying." She looked at the snake and back to him. "where do you come from?" The boy asked and Iris saw the snake point his head to the nearest sign. 

She read it. "Boa Constrictor Brazil, was it nice there?" Iris looked away. Harry was talking under his voice, but she could hear little hisses here and there. Was it possible that he was a parseltongue? Only heirs of Slytherins could do that, right? She was dazed, that she didn't realise Piers pushing her into the wall, causing her to hit her head. "Ow!" She yelped. The glass that Dudley was leaning over vanished, causing the lump to fall into the exhibit. The snake slithered out and stopped at Harry who was now on the floor. "Get awa-" She started, but the snake did not strike, only hissed. Which to Harry replied an 'Any time'.