Chapter 9.1 (Part 1)

The Twyford coach was also the scene of considerable activity, though of a different sort. Amelia m, in sympathy with Mrs. Winford, quickly settled into a comfortable doze which the whisperings of the other occupants of the carriage did nothing to disturb. Emma, Sophia and Maribella, incensed by Antonia's misfortune, spent some minutes giving vent to their feelings.

   "It's not as if Sir Jack's such a good catch, even," Sophia commented.

   "Certainly not," agreed Emma with uncharacteristic sharpness. "It's really too bad! Why, Mr. Wolfinger is almost at the point of offering for her and he has a much bigger estate, besides being much more attractive. And Antonia likes him, what's more."

   "Ah," said Maribella, wagging her head sagely, "but he's not been making up to Mrs. Norwood, has he? That woman must be all about in her head, to think of giving little Antonia to Finley."

   "Well," said Sophia decisively, "what are we going to do about it?"

   Silence reigned for more than a mile as the sisters considered the possibilities. Maribella eventually spoke into the darkness. "I doubt we'd get far discussing matters with the Norwoods."

   "Very true," nodded Sophia. "And working on Antonia's equally pointless. She's too timid."

   "Which leaves Sir Jack," concluded Emma. After a pause, she went on: "I know we're not precisely to his taste, but do you think you could do it, Bella?"

   Maribella's eyes narrowed as she considered Sir Jack. Thanks to Henry, she now had a fairly extensive understanding of the basic attraction between men and women. Sir Jack was, after all, still a man. She shrugged. "Well, it's worth a try. I really can't see what else we can do."

   For the remainder of the journey, the sisters' heads were together, hatching a plan.

   Maribella started her campaign to steal Sir Jack from Antonia the next evening, much to the delight of Antonia. When she was informed in a whispered aside of the Flemings' plan for her relief, Antonia's eyes had grown round. Swearing to abide most faithfully by any instructions they might give her, she had managed to survive her obligatory two waltzes with Sir Jack in high spirits, which Sophia later informed her was not at all helpful. Chastised, she begged pardon and remained by Sophia's side as Maribella took to the floor with her intended.

   As Sir Jack has no real affection for Antonia, it took very little of Maribella's practiced flattery to make him increasingly turn his eyes her way. But, to the Flemings' consternation, their plan almost immediately developed a hitch.

   Their guardian was not at all pleased to see Sir Jack squiring Maribella. A message from him, relayed by both Margaret and Lady Hillsborough, to the effect that Maribella should watch her step, pulled Maribella up short. A hasty conference, convened in the withdrawing-room, agreed there was no possibility of gaining His Grace's approval for their plan. Likewise, none of the three sisters had breathed a word of their scheme to Margaret, knowing that, despite her affection for them, there were limits to her forbearance.

   "But we can't just give up!" declared Emma in trenchant tones.

   Maribella was nibbling the end of one finger. "No. We won't give up. But we'll have to reorganize. You two," she said, looking at Sophia and Emma, quite ignoring Antonia and Amy who were also present, "are going to have to cover for me. That way, I won't be obviously spending so much time with Sir Jack, but he'll still be thinking about me. You must tell Sir Jack that our guardian disapproves but that, as in head over heels in love with him, I'm willing to go against the Duke's wishes and continue to see him." She frowned, pondering her scenario. "We'll have to be careful not to paint our dear guardian in too strict colours. The story is that we're sure he'll eventually come around, when he sees how attached I am to Sir Jack. Felix knows I'm a flighty, flirtatious creature and so doubts of the strength of my affections. That should be believable enough."

   "All right," Sophia nodded. "We'll do the groundwork and you administer the coup de grâce."

   And so the plan progressed.