40 | I Know Places

V E R A

━━━━━━━━━━

I woke up naked, wrapped up in silk sheets that finally smelt like Damien again. Pushing myself up against the headboard, a steady ache rushed through my body, the events of last night coming back to me. The exhibits. The secret rooms beyond The Valley. The sounds and the private show. Cordelia, Nicolas, Damien. Me.

How my New Year's kiss was more than just a peck on the lips. How even after the night he gave me, we went home and killed the last few hours of the year underneath the sheets. I smiled thinking about it all.

Looking over to his side of the bed, which laid empty, I reached for my phone on the nightstand, knocking down a folded piece of paper that had been set up beside a bottle of painkillers along with a glass of water. Picking up the note, I read.

Stay in bed, I'm making breakfast. Here's something for the ache.

Then, we'll talk. I promise.

Beaming at the note as he was right, my body had been quite sore after last night's adventures and then some. I popped open the tiny bottle and fished out two ibuprofen, setting them on my tongue and swallowing it down with some water.

Slipping the sheets off of me, I got out of bed anyway, already wanting to be in his presence again. I grabbed some panties from the closet, plucking his dress shirt off of the floor and putting it on. Fastening only a few buttons, I held the collar up to my nose for a long second as I took in his smell. I missed this.

Walking out of the bedroom, I stepped quietly down the stairs, making sure he didn't hear me and order me back into bed before I could get down the steps. Trekking past the living room and down the short hallway that led to the kitchen, I peeked from behind the wall to see him at the stove. He whistled, flipping over pieces of bacon, swaying to the low music coming from the little speaker on the countertop. He was also shirtless, the ink wrapping his body on full display.

Sucking in a breath, I trailed down his body, his sweats resting on his hips, and I swear I could feel myself pulse at the sight of him. Then, my stomach grumbled. If I wasn't so hungry, I'd be fully content with just having him for breakfast. I moved from behind the wall, into the door frame, his head swinging to me. His eyes cast down my half-naked body, his jaw flexing as he attempted to focus on both me and the bacon. He blinked, letting out a bothered sigh, and I chuckled at his discomfort.

Walking up behind him, I wrapped my hands around his waist, running my hands up and down his bare chest. "I thought I told you to stay in bed," he grumbled, his muscles flexing under my hands.

"And miss out on the chance to do it right here on this countertop?" I danced, pulling away from him and backing into the island, spreading my arms out across the edge of the cold surface.

Turning off the stove and spinning around to face me, he raises an eyebrow. "I see last night wasn't enough for you." he chuckles, shaking his head.

"Oh, that was plenty. Nothing could've prepared me for any of that," I played, feeling the sweet ache that leveled everywhere. "I just always want everything and more when you're around. What is it that you said last night? I'm like LSD? You too, have a way of making me feel like I'm in the clouds."

"Don't play with me like that," he exhaled, turning away from me to grab a set of plates from the cupboard. "It's barely eight in the morning, I haven't had my coffee yet, and I'm starving."

"And not for some fucking bacon," he mumbles, groaning.

I giggle, watching as he fills up a plate with dark chocolate chip pancakes topped with whipped cream, bacon, hash browns, and a side of strawberries. A simple yet favorite meal of mine that I made on many Sunday mornings, and even more late nights when I spent hours in the basement studio. There's a giddy warmth in my chest, almost as if I was in Kindergarten again and a silly crush of mine bought me my favorite snack. Why am I getting so tripped up over breakfast?